Sit-on sinks - can they sit on anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want one of those sit-on sinks in my bathroom - I'm not sure what they're called, but I mean the ones which literally sit on top of a unit, not an inset one. Can they sit on top of anything which is strong enough to support its weight? I'm not sure how the plumbing works... (I'm thinking of buying an old cupboard or table or bookcase or something to put it on). If they can go on anything does it make a difference whether the sink has integral taps or not? Provided the surface can be drilled, could I have separate taps as well?
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I know this will sound obvious, but do make sure that your 'surface' is reasonably water resistant. I know someone who put tiles on an MDF panel, of course as soon as the water splashed and seeped through the grout, the MDF expanded and pushed the tiles off - a bit of a vicious circle.

Whatever you choose, you will have to cut a hole for the waste to pass through.
If the basin has tap holes, the pipes would run straight down through the surface below, and I imagine that access would be difficult should the taps need changing. I've seen 'tall' mixer taps for which you cut a hole next to the basin - the spout projects over the basin's edge.

For hygiene reasons, it may be worth running a bead of silicone sealant around the bottom of the basin. This would also help keep the whole thing stable.

Thanks, moggett. Hmmm, good point, so how come you can have sinks on standard sink units then? Aren't they just an MDF shell with veneer on? (unless you buy expensive solid units).

Sponsored Links
If the veneer is waterproof and continuous, no water will get through it and the MDF will stay dry, apart from any condensation. Laminate kitchen worktops work this way, although they are chipboard rather than MDF. The problem with the tiles and MDF was that although the grout was not affected by water (water resistant), it was porous which is what caused the problem. If the MDF was waterproofed before it was tiled, it would most likely have been OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back