site work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im a domestic installer and have been offered some 2nd fix site work.

I passed my cscs health and safety test a while ago, what card do i need to do this work onsite? I can get an nvq from previous experience as a site operative years ago. Would this be enough? I also have my 17th edition and a EAL domestic installers certificate.

any help you fellahs can give would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
they just want your cscs card ( or ECS card if you took the specific electro-technical test as opposed to the general one ).

it just so they don't have to give a H&S lecture to every new person who comes on site.

Hello G/Arms.

Just my personal experience but I have had to leave the last two sites I was working on (I was doing agency work :( ) because the main contractor wanted the ECS card, not just the CSCS 'general' version.
The firms I was working for tried to sort things with my certs etc but that did not work, nor did I.

Good luck.

Ed

All I've got is CSCS, PASMA and IPAF.

The last two being just for use of access equipment.

I've never been asked for an ECS card, and a good chunk of the work I do is on sites.

Sponsored Links
it just so they don't have to give a H&S lecture to every new person who comes on site.

Huh I dont think I've been on a [proper] site yet without an induction which is basically a H&S lecture.
I even have the Laing and Carillion certificates, which in theory means I don't have to do a full site induction on their sites, some hopes...

Yep, I still have to sit through an induction for every new site I go on.

Even though you have passed the CSCS health and safety test and have a card, means you still have to do an induction on every site you go on. Every site is different, may well have different dangers to be aware of.

Even though you have passed the CSCS health and safety test and have a card, means you still have to do an induction on every site you go on. Every site is different, may well have different dangers to be aware of.

And different evacuation procedures/contact methods/regular+irregular fire drills/first aid facilities etc.
The list is endless so every site should have a basic induction on their system even if you have every certificate under the sun.
Site owners basic induction shouldn't take up more than 15-30 minutes though and generally consists of a short video with a 'tick-box' questionnaire at the end to show you have watched and understood their procedures.

And different evacuation procedures/contact methods/regular+irregular fire drills/first aid facilities etc.
The list is endless so every site should have a basic induction on their system even if you have every certificate under the sun.
Site owners basic induction shouldn't take up more than 15-30 minutes though and generally consists of a short video with a 'tick-box' questionnaire at the end to show you have watched and understood their procedures.

Yes I agree.

However Laing for example have a 'standard' part of the induction which is a video and test which takes about 1.5 hours, at the end you are presented with a certificate which is valid for a year on any Laing site. This is followed by the site specific part which lasts from 1/2 to 2 hours depending on how boring the 'lecturer' is. On one Laing site I had to sit through three identical inductions within a week as I had to work in three different areas.

United Utilities can be similar, and any paper mill.

BORING!!

bangdesk.gif

560bed124c3128d5778d9ed243eb0959.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back