Size of Outbuilding Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to build out building in my garden.
I have been seen the planning portal and read few articles.
This is DIY project with help if builders.
I will be submitting building regulation application but i need your help to finalise few things.

Its Semi Detach Property

Current size of the House
7 Meter Wide from Front
6 Meter Deep

Total Area of the House : 42 Square Meter

I have very large garden at back of the House.

39 Meter Deep X 7 Meter Wide = Total Area 273 Square Meter

I also want to build Out Building
8.5 Meter Deep x 6.5 Meter Wide = 55.25 Square Meter

I have numbered the questions.

1. Am i allowed to build 55.25 square meter outbuilding

There is one cherry tree at the end of the garden. I read online that for cherry tree i need to dig foundation to the depth of 1.2 meter.

2 . Is this correct depth for cherry tree? 60 cm deep 120 cm deep

2. If i build 2 meter away from cherry tree, do i still have to dig 1.2 deep foundation?

3. If there was no tree what is the minimum depth and width of foundation should be?
60 cm wide
90 cm deep

4. I am planning to build on the boundary of my garden. Hight of the outbuilding allowed is 2.5 meter .Is this measured from ground level - meaning current garden ground level? what ground level were already slightly higher then remaining garden?

5. 55.25 Sqaure Meter area is large out building. Roof Trusses will be 6.65 meter long. Any idea what size of trusses i should be using? Do i need structure engineer to confirm this? will these calculation will be required for building regs.

I would appreciate any tips or advise you all can contribute.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok as long as your permitted development rights are intact. Height is taken from adjacent ground level. 1.2m deep foundation for a Cherry tree is about right as long as the soil is 'Low' volume change. If it is 'Medium' change the foundation could be up to 2m deep and if it's 'High' you could be piling. The only way to know is test the soil. Roof trusses would be designed by the supplier, which would supply calculations and detail for building control.

Sounds ok as long as your permitted development rights are intact. Height is taken from adjacent ground level. 1.2m deep foundation for a Cherry tree is about right as long as the soil is 'Low' volume change. If it is 'Medium' change the foundation could be up to 2m deep and if it's 'High' you could be piling. The only way to know is test the soil. Roof trusses would be designed by the supplier, which would supply calculations and detail for building control.

Thanks John for Replying.

Does Permitted development allows me to do following.

1. Build 2 Flat roof lights in the roof
2 Build Toilet
3 Install central Heating into the Outbuilding.

Sponsored Links
As long as you don't exceed the maximum height roof lights should be ok. PD rights aren't concerned with plumbing or heating. They are building regs matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back