size of tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a quote from a local company and thought nothing of their terms and conditions on their quote until I went hunting for tiles. In their terms and conditions they said that the price would be higher if the customer chose 4" tiles, mosaic and natural stone. Now tilebase and topps tiles sold 4" tile sin abundance and had very little other choices. I understand why Mosaic and natural stone are more expensive but can someone explain the 4" ones for me. We havea Baltic Blue mottled worktop and the nice choices for tiles are not in great adundance.

Sponsored Links
They are obviously experienced & quoting you on a “time it takes basis”. Getting a flat tiled surface is dependant on a flat base; have you asked for clarification? It depends on the base; if it's in a poor state, uneven & you have small tiles it takes more time/skill to lay them & get a nice flat tiled finish & it may even require some preparation work; the smaller the tile the worse it gets. If you go in the opposite direction, large format tiles (say 600 x 300+mm) are even more difficult on an uneven surface & may work out more expensive in terms of prep & materials you need to use; but you’re unlikely to have those in a kitchen.

Did you get more than one quote? Were the company recommended to you? Have you seen any of their work? More importantly, how much have they quoted you?

They have qupted me a day to do the job and finshing the following day. It's a kticehn, in and around cabinets and window-sill and quoted £200 all in (bar tiles) for 4m squared. I had a few quotes and they were marginally the best. Apart from this caveat about 4" tiles. As I say I've struggled to find much else tile size wise.

The tiles we've found are working out at £36 per suqare metre which is pretty good.

I've seen their work and it is good and they are recommended very highly on Checkatrade.

£200 for 4sqm of 4" sq tiles is very good IMO,especially in a kitchen,lots of cuts generally around sockets and switches up under units and as you mentioned window cills.

For 4" sq tiles you have to fit 100 tiles to cover a sqm,works out about 25p a tile for fitting/grouting

Sponsored Links
This s the point £200 is for non 4" tiles, mosaic and natural stone. The thing is 4" tiles seem to be the standard in tile shops. When I got the quote I assumed 4" were non-standard.

It’s a small area but with fiddly bits &, presumably, they are tiling one day grouting next. I don’t think that's a bad price either & assume it includes adhesive/grout but have you asked them how much extra they want for small format tiles & attempted to negotiate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back