Tile Sizes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just had a new worktop, sink, floor and wall units fitted in the utility room and all thats left is the tiling (wall).

The problem i have is that due to positioning of the wall unit/ boiler housing/ wall socket and heating controls the size of the tiles is critical.

I have estimated that an asthetic tiling line would have to be 14"(grouting compensated) from the worktop up, and will "house" the wall sockets and run out of the eye line and under the units. Any lower and the wall sockets will be half tile, half wall. Any higher and they will have to come above the line of the wall unit.

So, does anyone know the various sizes of wall tiles, i have had a brief browse and have found 4" tiles but that would work out 2" too high or too low, any idea if there are any 3.5" tiles on the market.
Or do you have any other tried and tested solutions ?

Sponsored Links
You could run a horizontal row of border tiles around the wall. Border tiles come in various widths from 3/4 inch wide to about 3 inches wide.

Or you could run two different rows of different width border tiles around the room.

That way, you could shift your horizontal grout lines up and down and all over the place depending on where you put your narrower border tiles.

That is, consider using 4 1/4 inch square tiles with some 1 1/4 inch wide border tiles. Or, set 6X8 tiles in landscape orientation along with a row of 2X8 inch border tiles.

Or, 6 inch square tiles with two 1X6 inch wide borders. Or whatever.

Cheers for that Nest...
I came across some tiles today, 14" square, mosaic type.
Worked out i only need 8 pieces to complete the whole run with mimimal cutting.
Did consider shifting horizontals and landscapes etc but the acid test is when i show the strife the ones i have found, If she don't like them then its onto the sizing positioning scenario which i feel she may struggle to understand.
The hardest part of DIY is making the missus picture the result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back