Sizing insulation for internal 22mm copper heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone knows the correct size of lagging used on copper 22mm and 15mm copper internal heating pipework.

Im having a little argument with a person who says it is ok to use 9mm and I think 19mm should be used?

I have looked on the net but finding information is difficult and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a regulation, further information or some sort of online calculator?

OOPS! Should have mentioned: Pipes being lagged are directly under a boiler for approx 2 meters in lengh before they disappear into a screed concrete floor.

Many thanks for any response

Sponsored Links
Pipes in screeded floor might be more of a problem if they are not protected properly!

Sponsored Links
Pipes being lagged are directly under a boiler for approx 2 meters in length before they disappear into a screed concrete floor.
If the heat given off by the pipes is 'useful', then there is no need to insulate them.

If insulation is needed, e.g the boiler is in the garage, the thickness required will depend on the thermal conductivity of the insulating material. If it's the typical polyethylene insulation you need:

15mm pipe: - 20mm thick insulation
22mm pipe: - 23mm thick insulation

This will meet the Building Regs heat loss requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back