skim external porch walls - what to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've gotten OK at skimming the internal walls with multifinish but now want to skim over the 2 small porch sides that are semi covered (sort of an innie-outie porch) as they've accumilated a lot of bumps over the last 70 years. Pretty sure I can't use MF for this due to the fact it can get rained on, but can't see what to use. On a trip to B&Q I could only find 1 ready mixed pot of somthing that looked suitable for exterior use, but not sure of the finish it gives and it said it cannot be used under 10 degrees C which is obviously an issue right now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sand and cement with a float and sponge finish how bout that dnt forget some waterproofer. have you got a pic, im a little bit confused by what you mean that its and indoor proch thats outdoors when it rains. why dont you tell the porch not to play outside when its rainin like you would with kids :LOL:

sand and cement with a float and sponge finish how bout that dnt forget some waterproofer. have you got a pic, im a little bit confused by what you mean that its and indoor proch thats outdoors when it rains. why dont you tell the porch not to play outside when its rainin like you would with kids :LOL:

:)

It's a 2 floor house. The front door is set back into the halway in the centre front of the house about 1M so you have a covered area (by the first floor), but with wind blowing into the porch it does get wet with driving rain.

I'm only looking to put a couple mm over the sides to fill the dents and smooth it all over. Can I do that with just sand and cement like I do with multi finish and just sponge it after?

if its multi that youve got on there already then not really im afraid.
you could skim over and paint it with a good bathroom paint one thats designed to be able to cope with a bit of water.
if you can plaster to a decent standard this might be the easier option to take.
would it not make sense to put anouther front door onto protect it a bit.
just a thought.

Sponsored Links
No MF on their already. Not sure what it is under the paint, but it's not MF. I guess it's a cement render. Really I was hoping to get a similar product to multi finish I could skim a thin coat on as I'm fairly sure I can get a good finish like that. It just needs to be suitable for exterior use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back