Skim Thickness - Reskimming Old Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has been drylined and replastered by the previous owner who has done an acpetable but inperfect job.

If you wanted to skim over his work before repainting what sort of thinness would the skim come out?

What would be a very rough estimate for a fairly standard size room, four walls and a ceiling? Or if i got the lot done 5 rooms in total.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
My house has been drylined and replastered by the previous owner who has done an acpetable but inperfect job.

If you wanted to skim over his work before repainting what sort of thinness would the skim come out?

What would be a very rough estimate for a fairly standard size room, four walls and a ceiling? Or if i got the lot done 5 rooms in total.

Daniel
skim coat is about 3/4mm thickness.
Prices will vary between different plasterers are areas. You havent stated the size of rooms either so it is impossible to say. I wouldnt discuss my rates on here but i would suggest going into your local buildings merchant and ask them for the numbers of some good plasterers. Get a couple quotes and remember the cheapest isnt neccessarly the best

Thankyou very much.

I realise without seeing the rooms, or atleast knowing far more about them its impossable to quote, and im not really suggesting anyone does. Just trying to get the feel of if its going to be £50, £250, £550 or £2050+

Daniel

Thankyou very much.

I realise without seeing the rooms, or atleast knowing far more about them its impossable to quote, and im not really suggesting anyone does. Just trying to get the feel of if its going to be £50, £250, £550 or £2050+

Daniel
whats the measurements?

Sponsored Links
Thankyou very much.

Daniel

You can skim a room out in a day, if all the prep is done + plaster and bonding, you could expect anywhere in the range of £250/300 for the room. This would depend on the area you live as prices seem to change further south you go and if you have a nice posh car (joke)

Lets say average room, 4*4 with ceiling height 2.7.

You would be looking to be paying between £350-£600 for a good Plasterer

i have always told people for an average size room, give or take work it out at £350, just to skim it. If it needs bonding out plasterboards etc then it will change. It'll change from where you are, but use that as a start, and if someone comes in at £30 lower, or £3000 more then you know who to use or not to use.

i have always told people for an average size room, give or take work it out at £350, just to skim it. If it needs bonding out plasterboards etc then it will change. It'll change from where you are, but use that as a start, and if someone comes in at £30 lower, or £3000 more then you know who to use or not to use.
hud you couldent charge that kind of money down this way theres to many spreads, to give you an example there is some spread advertising in the local news his advert reads rooms skimmed from £80, also the old spread i used to work with used to be happy with £100 a day and hes been spreading all his life 35+years (mind you it would take him 2 days for a room), another spread i know from salisbury ive seen him go as low as £80, and he had a good 25 years of spreading experience it got so bad for him hes now a taxi driver , the college not far from me chucks out a few hundred a year that are able to skim, so the prices here are silly, i met a spread out onsite last year who was good and i kept in conact i asked him the other day how much he would want for a days work, hes willing to do a days work for me for a £100, i know he is on £130 a day, and i know for that ill get a room with the lid done as well, i can even remember quoting £120 for a room skim and was told that i was to dear, if you want to earn £350 a day down south is not the place to be

I didn't say it was set in stone! My living room is 5 x 5 ,with a chimney and a window,and its 10ft high.I would charge £300 including materials.and it will take me two days. The reason I say 350 is incase more needs doing etc. I know there are people who do a room for 80 quid, but I would never go back on what I charge,I'd rather be skint than work cheap. I work mine out at roughly 130 a day give or take, if people don't want to pay that that's ok. I didn't spend years standing over a spot board learning to get it from my hawk to trowel, and having weeks of having multi tipped down my front, to work for rubbish wages, that's not having a dig at anyone, that's just my opinion, and I bet there's a few who agree, and some who disagree.

I didn't say it was set in stone! My living room is 5 x 5 ,with a chimney and a window,and its 10ft high.I would charge £300 including materials.and it will take me two days. The reason I say 350 is incase more needs doing etc. I know there are people who do a room for 80 quid, but I would never go back on what I charge,I'd rather be skint than work cheap. I work mine out at roughly 130 a day give or take, if people don't want to pay that that's ok. I didn't spend years standing over a spot board learning to get it from my hawk to trowel, and having weeks of having multi tipped down my front, to work for rubbish wages, that's not having a dig at anyone, that's just my opinion, and I bet there's a few who agree, and some who disagree.

i certainly agree with you there mate. Although my prices are a bit higher. I price per m2 then add patching etc on time work. Materials are all included in metre rate. I think the trade in general is underrated. Think its the only trade you actually feel ****ed after a full days work.

There is a lot of cowboys out these days now. With the 3/4/5 day courses.

There you go you charge more,others less.don't get me started on 3 day courses,there is one about a mile from me...drove past today it was shut. Anyway I know a spread who charges 250 a day no less, and he does the same amount as all of us,and he gets work!! Also I'm quiet at the moment,got hardly anything,but I wouldn't go and plaster for 80 quid a day,rather go fishing!

I charge £17.50 an hour (£140) plus gear. Won't drop at all, I work hard for it.

There you go you charge more,others less.don't get me started on 3 day courses,there is one about a mile from me...drove past today it was shut. Anyway I know a spread who charges 250 a day no less, and he does the same amount as all of us,and he gets work!! Also I'm quiet at the moment,got hardly anything,but I wouldn't go and plaster for 80 quid a day,rather go fishing!

no chance i would do it for 80 a day. Maybe at one wall a day but no way. Usually try get a 3*4 including ceiling in one day on my own and price according to the quality of job left and how ****ed i feel at the end of the day. Once jobs finished, tidied, clients happy, few hundred profit for a long hard days graft, everyones happy.

I charge £17.50 an hour (£140) plus gear. Won't drop at all, I work hard for it.
and at that rate do you finish an "average" size room in one day. Im reluctant to skim rooms on an hourly rate. Would feel the need to give it that one more rub(polish)

Daniel
there you go hutch you could be quoted as little as £80 a room or as much as £350 , your saying that this blokes work is aceptable but not perfect? how bad is it exactly cant it be snagged? meaning cant it be made good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back