Skim wall using easifill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wholly expect that this subject has already filled some of you with horror and disgust.

Let me explain...

I’ve got these walls that I’ve ripped painted wallpaper off. The walls require some attention prior to painting - as seen in the pics.

I’ve never done any skimming but have used easifill across reasonably large areas. I’ve applied this using my 12” jointing knife.

I’ve come across videos similar to this and am wondering if I can adopt this approach in my situation:

I hope you understand why I am proposing this. I look forward to your responses.

Attachments

• 32913160-4C28-4B95-8F2D-4EEC93C64AEB.jpeg
    32913160-4C28-4B95-8F2D-4EEC93C64AEB.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 530
  • 4D96BB27-F42B-4310-B098-0AB9228201DA.jpeg
    4D96BB27-F42B-4310-B098-0AB9228201DA.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 0E2EE0DE-A1F1-4BC0-B653-3459572AD18D.jpeg
    0E2EE0DE-A1F1-4BC0-B653-3459572AD18D.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 513
Sponsored Links
everybody would be doing it.
he’s using an american product on damaged flat plasterboard surfaces.
if you get those results with easifill and no sanding on your uneven mortar walls you could make a fortune in this country.
why not pick a wall and try !

For the benefit of others, I have now used easifill on 3 different rooms and achieved very satisfying results. It's required 3 coats on each occasion and because it smooths out so well, very little sanding was required. Here are some pics.

upload_2020-7-13_23-34-44.png

upload_2020-7-13_23-35-10.png

upload_2020-7-13_23-36-2.png

upload_2020-7-13_23-38-2.png

upload_2020-7-13_23-38-34.png

As a reminder, the chimney breast in the above picture looked like this prior to applying easifill.
upload_2020-7-13_23-37-12.png

I got the occasional bubbling for some reason. I popped it and recoated with easifill. I also used a very thin coat of easifil as my final coat and this had a very smoothing effect.
Happy to answer any questions that may help others.

Sponsored Links
hmmm...
around 15KG if I recall correctly. I am now curious as to whether plastering would have been even easier and I am just running scared because I've never done it!

so you boarded the whole chimney breast ? or just the opening ?
you didnt want to vent it?

I boarded the damaged section and then blended it all in using easifill. I also fitted beading on the external corners of the chimney breast.
What do you mean by venting?

I boarded the damaged section and then blended it all in using easifill. I also fitted beading on the external corners of the chimney breast.
What do you mean by venting?
If you block up a chimney you should really:- Get it swept thoroughly to help prevent leaching and acid formation, Check it has a rain/bird guard/cowel at the top, fit a vent where it was blocked to allow air to circulate up it. You might not have any problems if you don't but you might also end up with it becoming a wet soot chamber. Mine had around 40 kilos of wet soot behind when I re-discovered it and re-opened it for a wood burning stove.

This looks fab. 15kg of Easifill for all the walls and it's 3 coats each. That's not expansive at all. Did you also seal with Gardz like the video?

@Jupiter01 - when you did this on the chimney breast shown above, how did you prepare the surface? Did you use the Zinsser product in the video, something else, or just skim after taking off any loose bits?

@Jupiter01 - when you did this on the chimney breast shown above, how did you prepare the surface? Did you use the Zinsser product in the video, something else, or just skim after taking off any loose bits?
Dusted it off. Applied diluted PVA and then several coats of skimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back