skimming onto dry browning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a read of the forum and have got lots of useful info from you guys but i still need a bit of advice on skimming over dry browning.

I am doing kitchen at the moment and need to build up the walls (one dry brick, one light breeze block and other two exterior walls a mix of pebbles/concrete).
It looks like browning that is on the walls at the moment mostly but there is a mix of one coat, sand/cement and even concrete on the walls from poor diy. The walls are in very poor/uneven condition.

I am planning to knock all this of and start from scratch and think that browning may be the way to go (but will sand/cement be better on concrete/pebble wall as will give strenth and help prevent any moisture on exterior wall?).

I have skimmed before over old plaster after PVA the walls with good results (very happy with finnish) but as I am no expert I work slowly. I think to myself I can have a go at most things and do well but plastering is one of the hardest things to learn as it waits for no man. Plastering as a trade is underestimated and much harder/skillfull than other building trades I have put my hand to.

anyway, I am reasonably happy that with due care and time I will be able to get a flat float/scratch coat of browning on the wall but I do not believe that I will be able to get browning on to wall and adjoining walls and skim ceiling (new plasterboard) and walls in one week never mind one or two days whilst browning still not fully dry.

Can I put browning on the wall and let fully dry (I know its easier for a pro not to) and then treat with a couple of coats of PVA later and skim at my leisure. Will this cause me problems?

Sorry for long post

Sponsored Links
I am doing kitchen at the moment and need to build up the walls (one dry brick, one light breeze block and other two exterior walls a mix of pebbles/concrete).
It looks like browning that is on the walls at the moment mostly but there is a mix of one coat, sand/cement and even concrete on the walls from poor diy. The walls are in very poor/uneven condition. I am planning to knock all this of and start from scratch and think that browning may be the way to go (but will sand/cement be better on concrete/pebble wall as will give strenth and help prevent any moisture on exterior wall?).

You can plaster virtiually anything with the right preparation & I'm assuming your talking about the inside wall surface but I’m not entirely sure!

If your going to knock it all of & start again, I personally I wouldn’t use Browning; it’s been largely superseded by Hardwall or Bonding. Use bonding on walls with low suction or which are a bit of a mish mash or in a mess but in the case of the latter, apply a bonding coat of PVA the day before; PVA/tacky again & build up in coats of around 8 -10mm at a time but in one session. You can use Hardwall on the sound walls or even Bonding if it’s low suction; if it’s high suction you must seal with PVA the day before to control the suction, equally as you would with Browning; you could damp down the substrate with water but, personally, I find the PVA approach easier & it also bonds any looseness & dust.

If you’ve got any hint of damp penetration, you must treat that first as neither render or a plaster base coat will stop it in the long term.

Can I put browning on the wall and let fully dry (I know its easier for a pro not to) and then treat with a couple of coats of PVA later and skim at my leisure. Will this cause me problems?
Yes but, as I said, I personally wouldn’t use Browning. If it’s dry, just apply a sealing coat of PVA at least 24 hours before & let it fully dry, then a PVA/tacky coat just before you skim. The first coat may grab a bit but the second coat should bring the surface back so you can work it.

Cheers richard for advice.
Its all interior walls and there is no damp to deal with.
Now I know that I can control suction with PVA on a high suction wall then I think I will use bonding instead as browning as you suggested.

At least now I know I can take my time with the job as I could not see how I could have done all that work in a couple of days, prob easy for a pro, but I need a few days between skimming a wall just to let the blisters heal !.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back