Skimming stud wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a quick question regarding skimming a new stud wall. I am just about to half a room by building a stud wall using 100 x 47mm timber and 12.5mm plasterboard. I am just a bit unsure of how to skim upto the existing skimmed walls at the perpendicular. Normally I guess you would tape the joint, but as one wall has already been skimmed i not too sure what to do at this joint.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I usually find that if I seal the joint with board adhesive it'll be fine and you just plaster up to it. If it cracks just caulk it.

When you have decided where your stud work and p/board is going to meet the existing walls, if you haven't put it in place, level down and draw two "plumb" lines the overall distance of your stud+both sides of plasterboard,(do this both sides of the room) then measure an inch out from your lines and cut down it with a stanley knife and cut out the skim on your existing wall to the pencil mark, This will be for the scrim tape to sit in and the other inch will be on the new p/board . When you skim you can then blend the old wall into the new, don't forget to unibond the area on the old wall where the scrim tape makes the corner.. I know this is a long winded way of doing it but it has always been the way I have done it and never had any problems with "cracking"...Good Luck.. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I do think the second option sounds quite long-winded, but i think it is probably the way i shall do it.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back