Skimming textured ceiling

Is it really necessary to put bonding coat on first over artex if artex has been scraped flat? Also i have quite a big ceiling to do is there any way of slowing down the process of plaster going off, as i am not the quickest.

Thx
no its not necessary to use bonding, 2 coats of multi should do it , throw a handful of board addy in with the finish as use for a retarder

Board adhesive to ******? You are having a laugh, right?
no

Talking poo mate.

Plaster is a retarded hemihydrate that's retarded by adding an alkaline (acid). Could you explain the science in adding adhesive?

Sponsored Links
Talking poo mate.

Plaster is a retarded hemihydrate that's retarded by adding an alkaline (acid).sorry bud u wanna know what ur talkin about b4 you start talkin s**t to me,

I worked for USG for eight years, so, I think I know a little. Can you tell me the science in adding adhesive?

So tell me what I got wrong. That's if you are able.

Sponsored Links
multi is a thistle plaster, carlite was an old brand meaning lightweight plaster from carlisle, was just a gypsum plaster as is most of thislte's product range now.

you only need bonding if the pattern is deep enough to cause you problems, bonding will make the skimming harder work as it will pull in quicker so if you can avoid it then don't, the added weight can sometimes pull the artex off too.

if i've got a big one to do then i'll DEFO use a bonding agent like WBA first then put a coat of PVA on prior to skimming, but if i'm worried that it's that sort of artex that will reactivate with moisture causing its bond to fail then use exterior PVA (EVA) let that dry thoroughly and skim (probably best with board finish though) that will hold off the setting time a bit too as will both board addy & lime, tried both.

still, when all's said and done, the gypsum will set quickly for a DIY'er no matter what you throw in with it, you've gotta be organised and work fast.

Generally you have 1 hour to get the first coat on, tools and buckets cleaned and ceiling flattened before mixing up second coat, first coat will slow down the next by half hour so you'll get a good hour and a half to lay on, clean tools etc and flatten to a finish, if you can't get it second coat then you've gotta go a third time, if that doesn't get it you'd better throw the towel in and phone someone.

Talking poo mate.

Plaster is a retarded hemihydrate that's retarded by adding an alkaline (acid).sorry bud u wanna know what ur talkin about b4 you start talkin s**t to me,

I worked for USG for eight years, so, I think I know a little. Can you tell me the science in adding adhesive?

i dont care who youve worked for mate that dont impress me one bit, try working foryourself, also what dont impresss me is that you say multi is carlite based, im laughin me head off at that one so i am

My mate stills calls it carlite......and bags of thistle...

Thought there were two pits north and south? pink and grey?

Primer are you amercian? or british?

Talking poo mate.

i dont care who youve worked mate that dont impress me one bit, try working foryourself, also what dont impresss me is that you say multi is carlite based, im laughin me head off at that one so i am

Carlite do a multi and a Thistle Carlite. Skimcoat is the Carlite multi. Yes I'm having a laugh at your expense also.

Well you have made all i was told a lie!!

No one told me grey was from ireland.

And why do you keep refering to it as carlite multi etc? Thought its british gypsum multi and bonding etc? i have been a plasterer since i was 16 ( that was in 1994 )

Grey was up north ( of engand ) and pink from down south ( england ) And white stuff from france etc. Thats what i was told. I dont even know what the original post was about now....? Where joe 90 when you need him.....

brad

Talking poo mate.

i dont care who youve worked mate that dont impress me one bit, try working foryourself, also what dont impresss me is that you say multi is carlite based, im laughin me head off at that one so i am

Carlite do a multi and a Thistle Carlite. Skimcoat is the Carlite multi. Yes I'm having a laugh at your expense also.
your post read multi is carlite based, when in fact both carlite and multi is gypsum based

Glad someone else has backed me up! cheers steve.

Aint seen the word carlite on a bag for years....

Glad someone else has backed me up! cheers steve.

Aint seen the word carlite on a bag for years....
ive actually been down a british gypsum mine brad, i was invited along with some others, took me about a mile underground they did it was like a labyrenth, and if there was a power failure and u was on ur own you would never find ur way out again as it would be pitch black, you could also see the gypsum sparkling away in the rock, they also said that there is not much gypsum left and they import a lot of gypsum, cant remember where from though maybe france
lol just thought i would share that seeing u was talking about pits and all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back