Skimming textured ceiling

blimey! just reading back this page seems i've missed all sorts of fireworks since i've been gone!! that'll teach me. nice to see you back Rich C :D

Sponsored Links
and well done for sticking it out all you boys! I might not have had anything to come back to if you hadn't and i'd have been :cry:

Adding board adhesive is pretty standard fare in the trade. If you add much more than a handful it can make the gear a bit 'greasy'
im going to give this a try tonight, how much board addy should i use for a 2 bag mix mic?
well i done it and i dident think much of it tbh or at least its not what i expected, i had a large wall to do about 60m2, in asdas and it was hot and humid the skim was going off really quick 2 of us done it each with a 3 bag gauge, i used 1 handfull of board addy to a 3 bag mix and it dident hold it back one bit just made it greasy
welll board addy as a retarder dident work for me , have a look at this link its the first time ive heard of it, anybody seen heard of it b4 http://www.chinasunbo.com.cn/en/ShowP.Asp?ID=6
"EDIT" reckons you can adjust the setting time of gypsum plaster

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt want to try an ****** something anymore, what if it dont work and you think its going to? If its a big lump just make sure you have enough trowels, 2 or 3.

Id be worried about it not working, and me thinking its going to, and it going off half way through, when i could have got someone else to help.

Ive never tried to ****** plaster and probably never will. Ive only done the opposite through dirty water.

I know a few lads who went down the mine and the gympsum boys were talking about the possibilites of making and selling their own retarder in saches. Dont know how much truth is in it though

Adding board adhesive is pretty standard fare in the trade. If you add much more than a handful it can make the gear a bit 'greasy'
im going to give this a try tonight, how much board addy should i use for a 2 bag mix mic?
well i done it and i dident think much of it tbh or at least its not what i expected, i had a large wall to do about 60m2, in asdas and it was hot and humid the skim was going off really quick 2 of us done it each with a 3 bag gauge, i used 1 handfull of board addy to a 3 bag mix and it dident hold it back one bit just made it greasy
welll board addy as a retarder dident work for me , have a look at this link its the first time ive heard of it, anybody seen heard of it b4 http://www.chinasunbo.com.cn/en/ShowP.Asp?ID=6
"EDIT" reckons you can adjust the setting time of gypsum plaster

If you look at the PH you will see it's high. You can add vinegar, lemon juice or anything acidic to ****** gypsum plaster. PH adjuster (upper) gardeners use is cheap and good to use. It's strong so you only need to use a few drops per 3 gallon of water. Cream of tartar works because it's acidic.... Depending on the PH of the additive depends on how much you use.

You can even use brick acid.

Ive never tried to ****** plaster and probably never will.
well when faced with the conditions that i had the other day you may think different dm the boards was warm the air the atmosphere was hot and i had a big hit to do when i came into work the other spread had already done his half of the wall and had cut it with scrim ready for me to do my half and he said there was a point at which he struggled but he had got it under control, so knowing this i decided to give it a go even with using the board addy the skim was going off quick so i guess that it didn't work
the other spread also had cream of tartar in his tool kit maybe i should have used that, anyway all was well in the end i worked up a good sweat on that one but if i can use a retartder to make things easy i will

If its a big lump just make sure you have enough trowels, 2 or 3.

Id be worried about it not working, and me thinking its going to, and it going off half way through, when i could have got someone else to help.
lol getting someone to help was out the question the other spread had already done his half by the time i got there i could hardly ask him to help me on mine he had done his fair share and went off for some dinner , there was a bit of a mix up over hours and he came in early thinking he may get paid for it but i was told you only get paid from 10 pm onwards so i came in 3 hours after him i wasent going to come in early and not get paid for it

i've heard cream of tartar works too, not had the balls to try it though

It's a carboxylic acid, potassium acid salt. Used as a PH buffer and is in vinegar also.

Anything acidic will ****** gypsum plaster, the amounts used depends on the purity of the plaster and the water PH you mix with.

Water has different qualities depending on the area you live this is why you can get a variety of mix time in different part of the country/world.

I use this to ****** plaster http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDROPONI...arden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3f0dff40e9

PH range from 8 to 12 from alkaline to basic depending on what you are wanting to ****** etc

If in doubt throw in a handful of lime.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back