Skip company disappeared, 8 yard skip on my driveway...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Odd one this... a couple of month ago I had a skip put on the drive way. Now It's full, one of the numbers I had for the skip company doesn't connect, and the other one, they claim to be a different skip company.

The person on the other end of the phone, insists that they they are a different skip company - but they do collect the old company names skips but it might take a long time...

Just rang and again told the same story, they are a different company, it might take a long time, they are still waiting to be paid from the "old" company, and the lady says they used to work for the old company but this is a new one. Ironically the people from the "old" company they see they all the time, but don't have any contact details they can give to me.

I made up that I knew someone in the family from the "old" skip company, and they say I should talk to them..

This is getting frustrating. What am I meant to do? There are hardly any details on the old company on line, and the "new" company they equally have hardly any details on line. Both companys have a residential address as their registered address.

Sounds like some kind of tax fiddle, or going under owing money, but the question remains how am I meant to get rid of this skip - anyone have any useful advice?

I have a feeling if I basically paid again (I paid on drop off) they'd come and shift it, but I don't see why I should

Sponsored Links
If you start now you should have it chopped up within the decade! :mrgreen:

DeWALT-DW3970-rw-78878-136665.jpg

You might need a spare blade though!

have you paid for the skip thats sitting there?
if not then order another 1,empty the 1st 1 then sell it to your local scrappy.and get them to come and get it.

Sponsored Links
Another dodgy waste company, plenty of them about.... You've paid the 'old' company, they've gone bust. New company is no doubt same people, same skips, same trucks, and same address, only now trading under a different name. Money you paid went with old company so they now wont pick it up as it'll cost the 'new' company money.... The Environment Agency may know more if they'll divulge anything. A skip company must (well should!) be a registered waste carrier by law with the E.A. Old and new firms should have a waste carriers licence, if not they're trading illegally.

Either, find out who the liquidator of the 'old' company is and contact them, that skip and it's contents may well be the Liquidator's responsibility. If not, ask another local firm if they'll take it and dispose of the contents in return for keeping the bin.

surely the skip is company assets and disposing off it is theft
you could always threaten storage charges if you find the liquidator

The company is listed as sole trader.. the its registered office is the same as another limited company with a similar name dealing in waste which is registered on the other side of London. From Google Street view I can see their recycling centre and piles of their skips (and the other company, with a different director name which I rang who have a number in common).

Another skip company have said my skip company have gone bankrupt and the other skip company I rang have taken over

EE gave me the details I already know for the skip company and I've sent a FOI request to get the name of the person who applied for the license.

What I think has happened, and it's been planned for a year and planned well, is they have operated 2 company along side each other for a year. The same phone operator was talking calls for both and they've just shut one company down to avoid some financial liability. It's all smoke and mirrors and difficult to find information, and I can see half a dozen people complaining in reviews on-line in the last month

I'm waiting for my father to get back from holiday.. he knows someone connected with the skip owners family.. and my father has a skip on his drive also

I suspect that type of fiddle is common, skip firm I worked for 20 years ago, were pulling more fiddles than the London Philharmonic. Fast forward 20 years, and the guy I was working for up to 2 years ago, (another waste disposal operator), has only recently 'gone bust', only to start up the following day from a different yard..... Same people, same vehicles, same bins, different company name and address...... :rolleyes:

If the 'new' company decide to take the skip(s), technically I would have thought the bins (if not the contents!) belong to the liquidator, however, if you are getting the bin removed I hardly think you are going to worry about that!

It got picked up in the end (after 3 weeks) by the 2nd company. Going to be a more weary in future. Nearly got to the point of knocking on doors of addresses I found online!

I think the lesson has to be payment on collection. Skip companies seem so desperate for the money, the times we were told 'Try and get the money for the skip when you drop it!'....

I really don't know why, especially if the bin is on a private driveway. It's quite simple, the bin stays there until it's paid for! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back