Skirting and architrave styles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just doing a total refurb so changing all skirting and architrave. I've used Ogee before - cheap, easily available and looks okay. Looking at 6" skirting and 3" architrave

What do you guys use for modern look refurbs? I'm considering 4" chamfered, but torn as it might look modern and sleek but may also just look cheap and simple.

Sponsored Links
Just completed mine. I used a wickes ogee, turned round and painted the back. This gave me a square skirting. I found it less hassle and just as cheap as getting it cut. i used mdf because of warping.

For the architrave I used the same as the door stops, 1.5"x 0.5". On the door stop side I fitted it so the narrow edge of the architrave was in line with the door frame. This gives it a look of a solid 1.5" frame and is very clean and contempory. On the hinge side I set set the architrave back about 10mm to give hinge and latch clearance. All very square clean and minimalist.

It just takes a bit more time to get it right for painting so you dont see the join.

The only downside is the skirting will need dusting more often but the wife loves it. The skirting that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back