Skirting and filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have renewed alot of skirting in my front room and have found that there are alot of gaps that need filling along the top of the skirting.

Now so far I have used decoraters caulk but after couple of weeks the caulk seems to crack slighty along the joins. Same as filler and wood filler that I have previously tried.

Do I just re caulk them again or should I use something different?

Thanks Shaun.

P.S I have only caulked small bits so a majority of the skirting is still untouched.

Sponsored Links
Caulk is normally only good for gaps no more than 4-5 mm..we all pump it into a lot bigger gaps but you can (and frequently do!) have problems.

Make sure your skirtings are fixed well for a start.

I would try liquid nails or water based gap grip..(make sure you sponge it over!!) pump it down deep then use a second application as a finish.

Thank you for the quick reply.

The gaps I am filling are mainly 1-2 mm with the odd going up to 4mm max.

ANd the skirting is fixed ok but it does move. Any atempts at screwing it in firming and trying to pull the skirting in has resulted in lumps of my wall coming away :).

Then id say use the gap filler even more..and remember, new skirting always shrinks a little after its bene fixed in place anyway

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks I will try that :)

1 more question. I have used pine skirting and want it to be darker. I was going to use medium brown briwax but I am unsure wether this will be ok over the wood filler I have used or will the wood filler stain a different colour?

If not can anyone recommend some good varnish or stain to use? I have tried some ronseal wood dye but really didnt like the outcome.

Thanks again

Shaun.

Whooooaaaa..there...

Natural skirtings!..I didnt know that, go fo cuprinol coloured flexible filler..its like coloured caulk

cuprinol coloured flexible filler for the gaps in just the skirting or for the gaps between the skirting and wall?

Skirting and the wall..use it like caulk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back