Skirting around bricks. Angles and Mitre Box - Confused!?! (Picture inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really confused about what angles and how I cut the skirting architraves. :unsure:

I have probably the simplest Mitre box from Screwfix, and for some reason, cutting the angles doesn't seem to overlap at all. Youtube videos haven't helped.

I am quite possibly being very daft and missing the obvious, so any guidance/tips would be much appreciated on how best to cut the right angles to get the architraves to all the way around the bricks? :?:

Thank you

p.s. I know the picture shows a completely insane angle to what is probably required, and that is after much trying all diff. angles with the mitre box

IMG_0359.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cut free hand
Put molding in position and draw line along floor and brick.
Move around corner and draw lines again.
See red I've drawn on the picture. Obviously not in correct place. You need to place moulding on floor.

Now where lines cross mark moulding and cut through free hand. See black line.

You really need an adjustable mitre block. Measure angle and set up the adjustable block.
The block you have is for 90 degrees only. That's 2x45 degrees
That's not what you have to cut. Be OK for picture frames or door frame

Last edited:
I am quite possibly being very daft and missing the obvious, so any guidance/tips would be much appreciated on how best to cut the right angles to get the architraves to all the way around the bricks? :?:

Just so you are aware - If that is that plastic print coated MDF quadrant, then the plastic will lift and peel at the first sign of moisture.

work out the angle [around 45 degree]and cut both halves to half that [22.5]
you need a mitre saw with locking at any angle

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back