Skirting board/architrave Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I a couple of rooms in my house the skirting boards run directly into the back mould at 90 degrees. To finish this do I scribe out the skirt on the back mould or do I just butt it up to it?

Cheers

Jacka

Sponsored Links
Normally just butted up , but there is always the option of plint blocks that can overcome a few problems and look quite classy too.

Never thought about those, but don't think they would go well in our house as it's a post war semi

Another one. I've decided I'm going to use a 3/4 quarter round on one of the walls where there's no room for a back mould. How do I finish the skirt into that round?

Sponsored Links
If I'm assuming correctly then your skirting will be approaching the quadrant at 90* to the door (i.e. I'm thinking the door is close to a room corner). It may be as easy to run the quadrant to the floor and cut out the end of the skirting to lap over the quadrant.

Exactly right! Probably be better to run it to the bottom and cut the back edge of the skirting off like you suggested. Here's a picture http://img525.imageshack.us/i/imagejqy.jpg/

I'm also looking to use 119mm mdf torus

Would you suggest anything else like just running the back mould straight into the wall?

You don't look to have enough room to overlap the quad without obstructing the door.?

In that case what would you do

Just run a right angle straight into the wall and leave tht whole edge?

I'll aso take a measurement of house much room I have to play with!

I did have a similiar situation in my house with the door frame being very close the wall. Here's a picture of how I got around it. The arctirave is replaced with a small quadrant. At the bottom is a small strip of timber that mirrors the plint block on the other side of the frame. The skirting is then run into this and the face of the skirting is scallopped out to ensure it doesn't foul the door. Skirting in my case is 7" with a simple chamfer mould but the process is the same. I should really have done some house work before taking the picture :oops:
_IGP1660.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back