Skirting board does not meet floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry for the first post to also be a question buuutttt......

We are looking at purchasing a family home as we have outgrown ours by quite a bit and we noticed some problems and I wondered if anyone could help?

The main this is the house we are looking at had a flat roof extension and in the 2 extra rooms most skirting boards have a gap where I can fit my finger underneath. Some of the skirting is joining the carpet, but on the outside walls is where I can fit my finger under and also a few parts on the inner walls.

We also noticed a crack which you can see from the inside and outside over the window, is it possible that the RSJ is cracked, or have they even used one?

Many thanks,

Nath

Sponsored Links
1. Typically, the floor has dropped - who knows why?

2. For my money, destructive investigation is required to determine if an RSJ is present or not.

3. Unless you supplied us with more info. and pics it would be difficult to help you further.

4. Get a local builder in to give you a view. Pay her/him for professional knowledge or promise of the remedial work.

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry I dont have any pics but we only looked at the house yesterday. I forgot to mention that where the carpet meets the skirting there are blask marks, like dust (possibly mould??) I wondered if air was getting though, but cant tell.

Timber shrinks across the grain.

If the skirting is a modern day pine fella then the gap could be largely attributed to skirting and joist shrinkage.

Typical and not worth fretting over.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed that you mentioned a window frame - are you referring to a lintel over a window, not an RSJ?

Thanks noseal, I dunno what wood it is, it was probably extended in the 80's. Sorry for being so vague!

Yep I meant lintel! Doh!

In my last house which got a bit drafty under the floorboards we had slight black dust marks around the edges of the carpet where air blew up from underneath and drew up dust with it. Maybe that's the dark marks you're seeing rather than mould?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back