Skirting board / hinge problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time to this board as I was hoping for some advise as my so called carpenter, more like odd job man who does a bit of woodwork is struggling. Poor guy, why i pay him I do not know!

Anyway I have had the underneath of my stairs all emptied and wanted a discreet door with no architrave as per the picture however the hinges he has fitted open the door onto the skirting board so he has had to cut back the skirting board which leaves a very unsightly gap.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to remedy this.

Thank you

4296094324_36449abe1e.jpg

4296110070_79bab8bcde.jpg

4296112810_934584cc11.jpg

4296111234_2aab19bd75.jpg

Sponsored Links
The only way to avoid the skirting gap would have been to use parliament hinges. But these would stick out from teh "wall" so I would say he has done the best thing, though touch latches would have saved you having to have a handle.

Jason

I think there is a lay-on or cut-in hinge (as used on kitchen cabinets) that is designed to throw the door out and give extra clearance. If I am not imagining, it has two pivots in a long articulated arm between the door and the carcase.

Have a look at the Woodfit catalogue. Probably under Blumotion.

edited

Might be this one?

71T7500.jpg

Or this one?

71T6540%20170dg%20CLIPtop%20inserta%20C%20&%20line.jpg
71T6540%20&%2071T6550%20CLIPtop%20DIM.JPG

Woodfit do a lot of Shopfitting and Cabinet parts, so maybe give them a call if no-one else knows

the only other thing you can do is remove the skirting from the door cut a new bit full length off the gap
screw in 2 screws into the door mid height off the skirting 1/5 and 4/5 in
screwed in till 10mm showing
pull the skirting up and down in the gap untill the screwhead marks the back off the boards
now either use a keyhole cutter in your router to give a keyhole slot to slip over the screwhead or drill a hole and use 2 off these

http://www.toolstation.com/documents/search/index.html?searchstr=17481&submit=Go
you would of course have to remove the skirting every time you want to open it the choice is yours a gap 'hinges showing 'no skirting at all[the usual choice]or a removable section'

or jasons parlament hinges
http://www.toolstation.com/documents/search/index.html?searchstr=54302

Sponsored Links
if you pay handyman rates you get a handyman job
if you are paying decent rates then throw him out on his ear

im not sure what he was trying to achieve but it looks like he was trying to make a secret door

18mm mdf is no where near substantial enough it will rattle and twist

you will always see the door as you need clearance for it to open

every time you paint the wall you will get globs of paint stuck round the edges

if you want to hide the door then you need to add some frame work to the wall like panelling and this will then hide the edges

or

make a decent door with arc etc to match your other doors

Thank you everyone, it's much appreciated, i'm looking at alternative hinges as I need easy access to the door.

If anyone else has any other ideas i'm all ears!

off the solutions offered on this page only the parlament hinges will give you the clearence required
the kitchen hinges wont work as they are designed to move 15 to 18mm flat doors within a few mm of each other and not provide the 30 to 40mm clearence you need because off the skirting

to use the parlament hinges you will need a batton on the hinge side off the door to support the hinge
the centre pivot point off the hinge needs to be around 2mm further out than the face off the skirting
so your parliment hinges will be proud by around 5mm beyond you skirting minimum
this will allow the doors to go flat against the side

As BA says teh kitchen hinges won't clear the skirting they just allow the door to open further.

The MDF should be fine in this situation, I did a secret door with pine veneered MDF and layed on mouldings and is's still going good 10yrs on

here and here Notice no skirting

perhaps framer could suggest a suitable hinge as hes said what he thinks is wrong but not offered a solution ;)

Jason

As BA says teh kitchen hinges won't clear the skirting they just allow the door to open further.

The MDF should be fine in this situation, I did a secret door with pine veneered MDF and layed on mouldings and is's still going good 10yrs on

here and here Notice no skirting

perhaps framer could suggest a suitable hinge as hes said what he thinks is wrong but not offered a solution ;)

Jason

Jason - mdf is fine in the situation you have used it as you have made a frame round the door to make it look like paneling as i suggested in my post ( looks a tidy job by the way)

there is no hinge available that would make the original posters door look invisible that is why i offered no solution other than to make a frame as you have done

I have got a wall-safe where the hinge pivot is set back from the inside face of the door and the door moves out with quite a lot of clearance. I think it is probably intended to prevent the door fouling on the plaster if the safe is inset a bit. The hinged side of the door actually pivots into the safe when you open it.

I can't quite visualise how to make one on a wooden door though

This sort of thing...

View media item 19041
View media item 19042
View media item 19043

Might not be what you had in mind but you could cut the door just above the skirting line and fix the skirting in place permantly. As the door is only into a storage area under the stairs the "trip hazard" of having to step over the skirting wouldn't be a great problem.

Hello jason what hinges did you use for your hidden door .

Thanks everyone.

There is actually a frame all around the door, it's just blended in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back