Skirting board material???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Hoping someone can tell me what my skirting board is made of? It’s a red material that is kind of like brick? It’s seems to be rotting in places and turning to dust.

Hopefully I have attached pictures!

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 24A72C65-A984-494D-B4DF-34B1528F54EA.jpeg
    24A72C65-A984-494D-B4DF-34B1528F54EA.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 4E79430E-8B46-4F51-969A-FC4A3020D877.jpeg
    4E79430E-8B46-4F51-969A-FC4A3020D877.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 265
Sponsored Links
Wow, never heard of skirting board made out of red brick! Very unusual. It covers the whole downstairs.

Thank you!

Where I work has what are possibly brick or concrete skirting.
It was built in ww2 but I have seen other public buildings with stone/brick skirting.
Possibly done for damp proofing purposes?

Sponsored Links
It’s a 1940’s ish ex council house that was owned by a single gentleman all his life. Hasn’t had any work done for quite some time. Obviously asbestos has been a worry, but that all seems fine. I’ve just never seen skirting boards like these before.

They look like terracotta skirting tiles. Can you see joints every 6" or so?

Unusual for them to decay like that unless they were poorly fired, or if that place gets a few frequent kicks or knocks?

I can’t see any joints, but I’ll know more at the weekend when we remove more. They are very old and have been painted numerous times. Here’s a close up pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 191
Probably cheap alternative to timber , in short supply during war years .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back