Skirting board on the stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of altering the hall stairs and landing, part of which i will be changing all the arch's and skirting but something i have not done for a very long time is stairs, and... when i did i was only laboring for a builder.

Can anyone give me any pointers on this?

I have used 5" MDF Torus everywhere else.

Pics here.

Thanks
PS. Please ignore the minging decor and crap! new house etc.
IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Sponsored Links
not sure off the exact question

but you cannot change direction on 2 planes at once you need a gap between them off a few inches
in other words you cannot change from say 42degrees and level and go round the corner at the same point

Sorry Big-All.

Was in a bit of a rush to get out of the office, Question...

How do i add skirting to the stairs to match the 5" normal skirting, im guessing ill need a deeper skirting for the stairs to look right? then it will be a case of cutting each riser out of the skirting so it fits over each one?

Sponsored Links
the skirting dosent have to go up the stairs just terminate it onto the string

do exactly what the skirting does now
if its taurus or other shaped just do a return end
a returned end is cut the end at 45% then from the other end cut a bit to fit in the triangle between skirting end and the string
so the shape covers the end and onto the string

Last edited:
I'm confused, are you saying you want the string of your stairs to match your skirting.

Yes Chappers. I am thinking now that adding skirting to the top of the stringer will look very silly.

We just dont like the profile of the Stringer, i guess i could remove the beading that is on it and perhaps add a length of Tours arch to the top of the stinger-fill-sand.

yeah I think on those stairs it might look a bit out of place, it's the sort of thing you would find on grander staircases./
Think you might be setting yourself up for a bit of work there, looks like there is already a chamfered profile to the string

Thanks,

I am not expecting it to be an easy job, it might be a better idea to try and get it back to wood then sand and repaint as it is. just looks a right mess as it is.

ok my suggestion is to take two offcuts formed into a triangle with a flat bit at the bottom for 2 steps then cut at 45% where the 2 bits overlap
i assume you want to add around 2" to the height off the string ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back