Skirting Boards - External Mitre Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have attached skirting and scribed the internal angles (as suggested). I'm having a few problems with the external corners i.e. can't get the right fit. On most I have a smallish gap of about 1mm which I have filled with filler/mega grip.

Do you have any tips on getting a tight external mitre join?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
jmanjmanj said:
Hi all
I have attached skirting and scribed the internal angles (as suggested). I'm having a few problems with the external corners i.e. can't get the right fit. On most I have a smallish gap of about 1mm which I have filled with filler/mega grip.

Do you have any tips on getting a tight external mitre join?

Thanks

if the gap is parralel it may be your cutting the line out when sawing rather than to the waste side
if you have a small 1mm gap you can remove .75mm from the back face of each half of the joint tapering to nowt after about 4 inches this will pull the faces together

if the gap is uneven the wall may be out or the saw may be out

cut a plane bit of timber [2x2 if you have it] at 45% turn the offcut bit round to form a right angle
use a square to check if its square if its out then the angle needs changing half the amount

if a gap appears at the top or bottom of the join the blade is half that amount off 90%

to check your sqaure hold against a strait edge mark a line then flip over if the lines dont match the squre is out by half the amount

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back