Skirting boards not fixed properly at bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to paint all the woodwork in my lounge. All the skirting appears to be fixed about two thirds of the way up each board, but I can push the bottom in about 10mm

And then this of course means the top comes apart and cracks the paint/caulk. And it just feels bad!

Is there a way to fix this? I'd rather not pry off all the board and make a mess, but I can't think of any way to do it. It needs a block at floor level behind I imagine

I wondered about drilling holes and spraying in expanding pu adhesive foam, but it's not a very precise way of doing it

Any tips?
Thanks
20201127_123246.jpg

Sponsored Links
Off the top of my head, a quick fix - Could you drill holes through the skirting low down, then squirt in a filler adhesive?

Off the top of my head, a quick fix - Could you drill holes through the skirting low down, then squirt in a filler adhesive?
That was the only idea I had too! I wrote that in my post...I guess I could test it on a section and see. It's hard to know how much, but I guess if I put a brick in front of it then the foam will not push it out

Sponsored Links
or maybe a few dowls, or in additional to spraying some foam in - drill hole, push in dowl til it touches the wall, then cut end off and decorate over?

Risk of foam is putting in too much and it coming out in the wrong places, or just pushing the board out more than you want.

or maybe a few dowls, or in additional to spraying some foam in - drill hole, push in dowl til it touches the wall, then cut end off and decorate over?

Risk of foam is putting in too much and it coming out in the wrong places, or just pushing the board out more than you want.

Thanks that's not a bad idea. I've squirted some expanding pu foam in a small section. I'll see if it feels solid after, if not then I think dowels will be the way to go. I guess I'd have to glue them in the hole so they don't slip through under pressure

I guess I'd have to glue them in the hole so they don't slip through under pressure

Yes - I was just about to suggest, you will need to glue them. You cannot make the the hole too tight, or the skirting will push away when tapping the dowel in, so glueing (wood glue) is the only way.

Yes - I was just about to suggest, you will need to glue them. You cannot make the the hole too tight, or the skirting will push away when tapping the dowel in, so glueing (wood glue) is the only way.
Thanks, looks like the expanding PU foam has worked quite well, feels solid enough on its own. As they were already fixed at the top, I drilled art way down and then filled. A bit messy, but I can sand back and it should be fine!
thanks

expanding foam to the rescue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back