Skirting transition

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you tidy up this skirting transition please? I can only think of a block.

If a block then say 50mm wide to the height of the taller (maple) skirting?

DSC_0355.JPG

Sponsored Links
How long is the section to the right of the pic if not to long replace the lot or remove the fake oak piece cut down till the two rounded sections meet

Extend the lines of the tops of skirting on the wall with a piece of scrap skirting and bisect the angles:

20221029_201048.jpg

You will ideally need a sliding bevel (or a piece of scrap skirting) to transfer the cut angles to the new material on the saw. If using a sliding bevel the end of the piece to be mitred will need to be square cut before transferring the angle. It is generally easier to cut the bevel angle (for the corner) after the mitre angle

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the section to the right of the pic if not to long replace the lot or remove the fake oak piece cut down till the two rounded sections meet
Agree tiny maple section looks strange just replace with white skirting .

Sponsored Links
Agree tiny maple section looks strange just replace with white skirting .

Sorry I should have explained, this isn't just the one piece. Its one side of an opening between the original house (white skirting) and the new part (maple). The other side of the opening is also in maple and goes into a corner so I can't just reduce the height as I would then have to do the whole room.

For such a tiny piece, I would replace the maple bit with matching white.

@JobAndKnock any reason not to do a block? Do you think it wouldn't look right?
As @johnny2007 says (and as I should have stated - duh!) , better to replace the maple with all white and to do the mitred angles. Blocks are a pretty clunky (read "ugly") IMHO and I'll only ever consider them if there really is no other way of doing it, e.g where two very dissimilar skirtings meet and both the runs are long and/or maybe one is an original moulding. As others have said, short runs of odd mouldings are really a not that attractive

Buy skirting cover. Cut to shape and stick on. Keep same height

Sorry I should have explained, this isn't just the one piece. Its one side of an opening between the original house (white skirting) and the new part (maple). The other side of the opening is also in maple and goes into a corner so I can't just reduce the height as I would then have to do the whole room.
Why mix skirting ?

Why mix skirting ?
Not my choice, house came like this! But I'm not replacing half a house of skirting because of needing to transition. Also note they both the same height (100mm) the difference is in floor level.

Not my choice, house came like this! But I'm not replacing half a house of skirting because of needing to transition. Also note they both the same height (100mm) the difference is in floor level.
You need to change have the house skirting so it matches.Only a matter of painting it white.

Changing that tiny piece of maple is better than any of the alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back