skoda injector 1.9 tdi estate 03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
car was in for a service today and i asked the garage to look at aproblem of the car missing when starting from cold but ok when warms up.problem is an injector which will set me back £180 notes plus another £50 for the aerial which has dropped off.
is there an alternative to this cost or is it just tough sh-t?
any advice please?
its my regular garage and i dont doubt them but im out of work and £180 for one injector is too much at the moment, also time is on my side as i cant drive for 6 weeks

Sponsored Links
In this day and age £180 for an injector doesn't sound bad. I don't know this engine and what the starting arrangements are but on the older IDI engines the first thing I would be looking at would be the glow plugs.

that isnt too bad, some modern injectors are £600 a piece
vw are now replacing injectors in some models free of charge as part of a goodwill programme, my brother in law has just had all 4 done in his passat (06 model). I think the car needs to have shown a good vw service history though

thanks for the input it helps to balance the problem, on the skoda forum a poster states that using the car in this condition may damage the biomass flywheel,
is this something i need to be aware of and take notice of?

Sponsored Links
As ch427 said the VW dealers are replacing them. Its the same for Audi but with them its a standard replacement program. When the car next goes into them for a service or upon request they check the part number of the injectors fitted and if there are the model identified as being substandard they replace them all free of charge.
VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda are all part of the VAG group so you didnt say how old your car was but I would go in to your local Skoda dealership and have a word with them and mention what Audi and VW are doing and your problem and see what they will offer.
If that doesnt help then a letter to Skoda HQ would be worth a shot.

I cant think of how that fault could damage the flywheel. The flywheel is basically two flywheels connected together with springs which help the smooth out the engine torque delivery. Its common on diesels due to their higher torque.
If the engine is juddering then it would put extra load on the flywheel but you need to consider how often it judders when cold compared to the number of times you accelerate over the lifetime of the car. So yes it will be putting extra wear on the flywheel but not a significant amount.

before i read your post i phoned the local main dealer and the quote was £516 for cylinder no 3 and £278 for any other cylinder.
i have the car serviced at the same local place for a long time, and as i dont use the main dealer i cant see how i will get some free work done
boy is car ownership becoming expensive these days
cheers for the input gblades

That was my opinion until I bought a 406 with the 110hp 8 valve Hdi engine, these seem to be almost bombproof like the old XUD engines. There are quite a number for sale with over 300,000 miles on them, I have one with 195k and the engine is brilliant, doesn't look as though its ever been touched - the same doesn't go for the later ones though.

Peter

best to steer clear of modern diesels these days unless you do high mileage
Personally I think it's a case you need to get the correct type for the driving you do. If you do short journeys for example don't get one with a DPF. Higher performance models have in the past had injector issues.

I have a petrol but with a turbo. Makes it nice to drive with a lot more torque at the lower end and the extra power and rev range aswell. However petrol turbos run much hotter so you need to allow the system to cool down when stopping. Mainly an issue at motorway services.

best to steer clear of modern diesels these days unless you do high mileage
Personally I think it's a case you need to get the correct type for the driving you do. If you do short journeys for example don't get one with a DPF. Higher performance models have in the past had injector issues.

I have a petrol but with a turbo. Makes it nice to drive with a lot more torque at the lower end and the extra power and rev range aswell. However petrol turbos run much hotter so you need to allow the system to cool down when stopping. Mainly an issue at motorway services.

any turbocharger no matter what its fitted to should be allowed to cool down for a minute or so before turning off the engine, this is usually achieved when your slowing down towards the end of your journey. Another 30 seconds or so at idle should be sufficient

That was my opinion until I bought a 406 with the 110hp 8 valve Hdi engine, these seem to be almost bombproof like the old XUD engines. There are quite a number for sale with over 300,000 miles on them, I have one with 195k and the engine is brilliant, doesn't look as though its ever been touched - the same doesn't go for the later ones though.

Peter

im not a peugeot fan but these are a good lump, no wonder you see so many taxis with this engine in them!

Sponsored Links
Back