Sky Lantern upstand with GRP roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was hoping somebody can point me in the right direction regarding the upstand for a sky pod I"m putting on an extension with a GRP roof.
Do I have to put some kind of trim or edge round the ring beam (upstand), or can I just use a fillet of timber round the upstand, and GRP over it with resin and bandage, topcoat etc.
Cheers
T

Sponsored Links
I have just done precisely this. My skylights are the flat panoroof ones. They have a timber kerb. I built up the upstands with 2x4 so the kerb sits 6” above the finished roof. The plastic wall trims I put around the edges by the walls were too tall for around the roof light so I boughts some 47x 50mm wooden angle fillets from Eurocell and fixed these around the edges of the roof light kerb. I then bandaged the joins and then laid my main matting as per usual. I topcoated right to the top edge of the kerb. Gonna install the glass Friday.

Have you GRPd before? It was my first time but the YouTube videos from “fix my roof” served me well.

Screenshot_20171031-230103_1.jpg

Thanks guys, can’t really work out why the up stand has to be 150mm, it’s not like the frame of the sky pod isn’t waterproof and sealed. I’d of thought as long as it’s raised higher than the roof it would be fine?, as it is it’s only going to be 75mm above the finished roof, so it would mean adding 75mm!! Is it building regs?

Sponsored Links
Just good practice really in this situation but probably get away with less with sound workmanship and a good rooflight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back