Sky multiroom cable question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..

I've recently had whole house rewired (bought a probate sale) and also got the electrician to run points for sky in each room.

They have put a distribution amp in the loft (which i know is wrong - it's a "Select 6 way areial amp ) as it's just for TV. I will need to get one capable of accepting magic eyes in all other rooms (5)

I have two questions that hopefully are fairly straighforward to answer.

At the moment i only have TVs in two of the oher rooms. One of the room works - well, gives a picture but doesn't allow changing channels. In this room, the signal is terrible when run through the distribution amp - put if i just connect it to the rf out cable from the skybox it's perfect.
Is this just down to the amp not being upto the job, and when i get a new one, it should sort itself out ?

Secondly, there is a TV point in the kitchen, but no matter how hard i try - i cannot get anything to show (even when i connect to the rf2 out !)
The question i have is whether they is a way to check to see whether the cable is broken along it's length (burrind in walls and floors so difficut to see !) ???

Many thanks

Jay

Sponsored Links
firstly please tell me how many co axial cables go to your main sky box posistion..

Hi - many thanks for the repkly.

I should have been more specific.

OK - Current set up is as follows

Living Room -

Sky HD.
£ wires coming from the wall. Two of which go to the dish, and a third (currently unused) cable if I wanted to feed to pickure into other rooms. This cable goes into the loft where if wanted, coould be connected to a distribution amp.

Spare Bedroom

Sky + - Multiroom.

Same wire set up, but the 3rd wire i have connected to the RF out and in the loft connected it to the amp (which I know i will have tochange to allow channels to be changed etc.

Also in the loft there are 6 other wires that go to various other rooms.

One of these works, as we have a tele in another bedroom which gets the picture that is showing in the sky+ tele. The amp wont allow channels to be changed, and the pic is terrible when going through the amp. If i connect this lead directly to the cable from the sky+ box, the pic is perfect.

I also have a tele in the kitchen which no matter what I do, cannot get any kindd of picture to show.
Im wondering whether there is a way to test whether the ccable has been damaged from either end as it is burried behind walls, and goes from the ground floor to the loft.

Also, will the pic prob on the existing tele, be sorted out with the correct distribution ampp ??

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi there

i have posted a link below, click on that and look for the diagram to download.
this will tell you all you need to know

i use this equipment all the time..

as for the 3rd wire behind your tv set use that for sky plus

i think where you are going wrong will come to light when you have a look at the wiring diagram

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/installers-guide.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back