Skylight in storage space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to board out my loft for storage, but would also like to get daylight in there, so I don't need the light on during the day. I have installed a new loft ladder. I cannot make a habitable room as I only have 6'2" from ceiling joist to Ridge board, and I have a 4"x 2" tie bar across the roof in the centre, on top of the purlins. The way the roof is constructed fitting larger joists would be difficult, as the ceiling joists do not sit directly onto the outside walls but are fixed the the rafters some 18" in from the outside walls. The existing joists are 4" x 2", and the boarding would only extend for 5' either side of the centre wall, could I put in some form of tie to support the joists from the purlins which are 8" x 3", the rafters are 4" x 2" on 16" centres. The roof is tiles over felt, re-roofed about 15 years ago, when another support was put in the take the extra weight. The joists don't seem to bow when walked on, I had thought of making a tie wall out of Chipboard, as the bottom of the purlin is only 18" above the ceiling at the edge of the proposed boarded area, and the strengh of the chipboard should be enough to support the joists, or should I use metal straps bolted through the joists. Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers,

Sponsored Links
If its only for light storage, not as an extra room i cant see why you wont get away with the boarding out, I used some propper interlocking loft boards, screwed down to the joists. My joists are ickle ones compaired to yours, I think 2 x3 if i remember, its been done for about 2 years now, no probs at all, but all we keep up thier is the xmas decorations and the suitcases etc.... Oh and the odd spare crate of beer.... keeps in nice and cold ;).... As for the skylight i think they are over rated and take too much time to fit (For the diy-er)... Easier to run extend lighting as im sure ull already have some feed wires somewhere in your loft....

You say its not for a propper room, so im guessing you not going to be in it that long anyway....

Hope that points you in a direction.

a 15W CFL will give light for 100 hours for about 15pence

How many hours of light could you have for the cost of a velux window?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back