Slab or suspended timber floor in small mid-terrace property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have the option to do a suspended timber floor or a solid concrete floor in my small mid-terrace property. The property has been stripped back completely, right back to the underfloor void screed.

I am not planning on putting in underfloor heating.

The one advantage for a solid floor is it should enable me to get rid of some of the waste from taking down the chimney breasts.

Cost is a significant factor in my decision but should not push me to make a poor decision.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, far from it but i think cost of concrete will be greater. But depending on your requirements for the rooms are or what flooring finish you want (wood, carpet, tiles etc) its hard to say. Think you'll need more than a chimney breasts worth of hardcore for a starter if concrete is the choice. But then there is skip costs and time of removal might outweigh that. You could sell the old bricks even? Barrowing/pumping ready mix in needs to be thought about. How far away will the wagon be? Insulation would be required for both types so no difference. I suppose timber would be much quicker to install without curing times etc of the concrete. Old properties like to breath so suspended floor would give that. Have any neighbours done concrete floors?

Lots to think about.

Last edited:
I did the sums a few years ago. As above if you're carpeting or putting laminate down concrete is cheaper and easier. Insulating solid concrete is much easier than suspended timber (chuck the sheets in, bury with concrete, done).
Downsides of concrete- you need to plan any underfloor services (heating pipes, power, data). Gas pipes need special treatment. You may block underfloor airflow to other parts of the house. You may find your existing floor 'level' is no such thing. Once you start pouring concrete you're committed, very difficult to alter the job halfway through.
Personally i prefer suspended, mostly cos i like bare varnished floorboards and rugs and you csn get back under to add stuff or fix stuff

Thanks guys. Some good points mentioned. I will have a lot of bricks to get rid of as I am taking out the back wall of the property and 3 chimney breasts.

I plan to lay engineered wood floors without underfloor heating.

Most properties in the street are unrenovated, so not much to go off there.

Sponsored Links
Block and beam ? All the positives of concrete floors, without the drawbacks of timber

Block and beam ? All the positives of concrete floors, without the drawbacks of timber

It's also an option, but I think I would then rather to a timber floor as it would be easier for me to do myself.

If you're going suspended timber why not just T & G floorboards? Engineered floor will need a floor to lay it on afaik

It's also an option, but I think I would then rather to a timber floor as it would be easier for me to do myself.

Oh no doubt, but it will be easier than a concrete poured floor, which was your other option.

We have timber in our bungalow, and sound transmits through it a lot. Much the same as people in converted houses I suppose.

if suspended timber came out then i’d put the same back. you can insulate it and draughtproof it as you go.

I am leaning towards an insulated concrete slab throughout. As inunderata d it is made up of sand, stone, dpc, concrete (not in that order) then topped off with a layer of solid insulation board and then either a screed or t and g boards.

I was thinking t and g would be my preferred choice over a screed. Any thoughts on that?

I'd suggest bury the insulation under the concrete myself, then you've got free choice on your floor covering. If you're good with concrete you can get a fairly flat finish on the slab & tidy it up with SLC. Are you talking T & G chipboard or timber- either one will be more expensive than the screed & silly if it isn't the finished floor (if you're still having your engineered whatever as final finish)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back