Slabs on existing slabs and edging advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice on rejigging my garden.

The garden I've acquired is a concrete and slab jungle. I have a little one so I want to put down some turf for the good weather. I also want to keep a paved seated area.

It currently looks like this:

There's a wooden garage at the bottom. I've already been told on here that I can't put any new slabs tight up against the wooden garage. (thanks to FMT)

I plan on removing a load of the slabs but keeping a square area in the back (sunny) corner like this:

This will mean building up the existing concrete path to the same height as the slabbed area. There's about a 110mm step so I was planning on laying 2 layers of the 50mm slabs lifted from the other bit to level it off.

On this remaining square of old slabs I would then lay some new fancy slabs in the middle surrounded by some fancy decorative chips to look like this:

(not necessarily with the silly colours available in my CAD program).

The existing slabs & concrete have been done properly. There is 4" of hardcore and sand below them so I'm reckoning they are a good base to lay this new patio bit on rather than dig it all up.

Questions I have are:

Should the built up slabs be cemented in?

I'm not sure what, if any edging I need? I've read conflicting posts on here. I'll need something to retain the chips at least I guess.

Should the new slabs be put down on a bed of mortar and pointed?

Is the above idea stupid?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If I get a response I'll post before and after pictures. (If anybody GAF :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
I did it on old concrete and it worked fine. Just lay the slabs on dabs of sharp sand cement mix of about 1 to 4. Splodge five dabs to a slab and the edge ones can be fully cemented around the sides. By the time the dabs have spread out there should be enough coverage to prevent your final pointing from disappearing down the gap. Pointing might want to be a slightly stronger mix.

footprints

Cheers for the replies Gents.

Read a bit on that site but still unsure if edging the patio needs the edging bricks to be haunched in concrete or not and if so on a bed of what?

I've read a couple of things today. 1 saying it can't be done on a bed of Hardcore and another saying it's not needed at all. :?:

Sponsored Links
I did it on old concrete and it worked fine. Just lay the slabs on dabs of sharp sand cement mix of about 1 to 4. Splodge five dabs to a slab and the edge ones can be fully cemented around the sides. By the time the dabs have spread out there should be enough coverage to prevent your final pointing from disappearing down the gap. Pointing might want to be a slightly stronger mix.

footprints

footprints: Can I use the same mortar for sticking down the slabs that will level off, the Edging bricks and the pointing?

cheers

I would go for 3 to1 and use builders "soft" sand for pointing and exposed areas as it will be harder wearing.

A tip I found recently when repointing some old crazy paving was to keep a bucket and sponge to hand for cleaning off any pointing that gets on the face of the slabs, well squeezed out the sponge seemed to work well.

You can buy special grouting products, some contain additives that claim to reduce weed / green deposits bit expensive but may be worth trying, haven't used this one but it shows the sort of product I mean.

http://reviews.wickes.co.uk/9987-en_gb/154002/reviews.htm

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back