Slate cutting tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is I need to cut some slates, both width ways and lengthways, but I have none of the necessary tools.

I've done a bit of research online and have looked at slate guillotines (although I'm not sure what length of slate they will cut up to, and mine are about 12ins square), Slaters Axes, or a Slater's hammer with a slater's stake.

I am left-handed, which seems to complicate things a little. Added to this, I don't want to spend a lot of money (by which I mean no more than £50 max) but I know that cheap tools aren't always worth the money.

I only expect to be cutting up to 100 slates max, to give an idea of the size of job.

Can anyone offer any advice? Cheers.
:confused:

Sponsored Links
For that number I'd use a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a diamond blade. Believe me, you'll find loads of uses for it later.

Thanks for this thought. I'm sure Mr Sugarbeet would enjoy having an angle grinder too, but I do want a more natural kind of bevelled finish to the slates, and I can cut them one at a time by hand - there's no rush to get them all done quickly, as I'm not actually going to use them on a roof. :)

The slaters axe is the one to go for (that plus loads of confidence) but the hand held slate cutter (Toolstation 57659) could help.
Scoring with an angle grinder would allow you to snap off the slate edge too, which may help with the riven effect.
John :)

Sponsored Links
bit of angle iron as a straight edge and a sharp bill hook :idea: Must be loads lying around in Norfolk ;) Or toolstation - online . Silverline slate cutter ( ambidextrous) £25

Has anyone actually used a slate axe? (I haven't) I like traditional methods when possible. What does the cut side look like?

Thanks for all the feedback. I have ordered a Slater's Axe and am on the lookout for a handy bit of angle iron, so should soon be up and running. Just a tremendous lack of experience to overcome now! Cheers guys.:cool:

get some slate snips, you waste less slate and some times get two cuts in one go... thick slates, axe or guillotine.
Alwayscut from the back to get the required finish. ..Imho angle grinder is a bit amatuerish.

I'm not sure what you mean by slate snips... Are they the sort of slate cutter which looks a little bit like a pair of pruning shears and which also cuts a hole? or do you mean general purpose snips (in which case I already have some I could use)? Sorry to be so clueless.

By the way, my slates are only 4mmish thick.

Cheers.

Has anyone actually used a slate axe? (I haven't) I like traditional methods when possible. What does the cut side look like?

Slate axes are a traditional method of cutting and dressing slates.

Joe using an angle grinder to cut slates is admitting defeat and its not that hard once someone shows you how. I am sure there will be you tube clips to watch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back