Slate floor - process & sub floor & shopping list...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Looking at laying a slate floor in kitchen/breakfast room & 2 bathrooms.

I've found these floor slates online: (anyone have any thougths?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300255688817

they look like the sort of thing i want anyway so happy to be pointed int eh direction of anyone else that could supply.

Regards sub floor it's currently floor boards so i expected to lift/cut these out & lay some kind of tongue & grove manufactured board (not sure what it's called but i've seen it used) it's about same depth as floorboard.

Any thougths on this?

then some questions:

What sort of adhesive should i use?
Does adhesive / grout need to be flexi?
What sort of grout should i use ( i want something grey)?
Am i right you should lay / seal then grout & seal again?

the areas are circa 21m2 / 6m2 / 6m2 for he 3 rooms.

What sort of price would be a market rate to get them put down by a professional & save me messing it up :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Don't think about buying on eBay.

If you think about it, don't do it.

If you do it, don't be surprised at what happens**.

they look like the sort of thing i want anyway so happy to be pointed int eh direction of anyone else that could supply.
Don't you have any local stone suppliers?

Regards sub floor it's currently floor boards so i expected to lift/cut these out & lay some kind of tongue & grove manufactured board (not sure what it's called but i've seen it used) it's about same depth as floorboard.

Any thougths on this?
Why do you need to lift the floorboards?
Can't they be screwed down tight?

If not, then for that weight of tile, I wouldn't use anything less than 1" plywood.

What sort of adhesive should i use?
Flexible floor tile adhesive.

Does adhesive / grout need to be flexi?
Yes.

What sort of grout should i use ( i want something grey)?
Grey grout.

Am i right you should lay / seal then grout & seal again?
Spot on. You'll need to clean off the excess grout before the second sealing though.

What sort of price would be a market rate to get them put down by a professional & save me messing it up :)
One million pounds.

** Thanks to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks softus

ok take the hint about ebay i'll check local suppliers :)

reason for lifting boards is essentially to bring floor level down as much as poss... don't want floor boards / ply / adhesive / tile... it would be about 2 inches higher :)

thanks on other points... apart from the £1m... i think i'll be doing it myself then ha ha...

if anyone has any good south coast (dorset area) suppliers please let me know & i'll give them a call or pop in.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back