Slate tile Kitchen Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am new to tiling, having only ever done our bathroom floor previously. I embarked on the 10sq m kitchen floor with a lot of fear as not a single wall is square to another and there are lots of odd shapes too.
Was very hard work but I did kinda enjoy it. Its not a brilliant job, but it is my job!
I used natural slate tiles from Wicks but want to know a few things:
1) How should I clean them. Ive grouted now but they simply arent very clean. I did try using soapy water and they still went back to kinda dusty streaky. Is there a trick to it?
2) I know I need to use some kind of sealing product on them. Any suggestions of good ones for protecting and sealing them?
Thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
You should seal them BEFORE grouting. You will now need to buy a grout film remover to try and get them clean then seal with an impregnator for a matt look or an intensifier for a glossy finish like when they are wet, I use Lithofin sealers

Jason

ahh ok, didn't do enough homework on that one. Never mind. Will clean with Grout Film Remover then seal. Would you do multiple coats of impregnator? Cant find lifton impregnator in Screwfix, will i find in DIY store or buildbase / plumbase or Jewson???
Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Its usual to seal before & after grouting so an impregnator may well need 4 coats in total, the intensifiers as they sit on the surface will need less maybe two or three coats. You can get it here

Jason

Thanks for your help everyone.
Just a couple of further questions:

Step 1 - clean the tiles with the grout film remover, Do i need to be really careful not to get the remover on the grout lines themselves or does it not matter?

Step 2 - Apply impregnator, Here, again do I have to be careful not to get the product on the grout lines, ensuring I keep it only on the tiles, or do I want it on the grout as well?

Step 3 - Is it worth using a grout sealer on the grout lines? Again if I do this should I do it after the impregnator? Should I ensure i dont get it on the tiles?

Thanks guys, after my first mistake I want to get some more info before moving forward.

C

Test the film remover on a scrap of tile to make sure it won't affect the stone.

Then clean the tiles keeping as much as possible off the grout but you will not be able to avoid it particularly when washing off. You may need to use an emulsifying pad (scotchbrite or green plastic pot scourer) to get stubborn grout off.

Let the water from rinsing the tiles thouroughly dry out then apply your sealer over the tiles & grout so no need for separate grout sealer.

Jason

Jason

Thanks for all your help. I spent all day scrubbing it with grout cleaner and then a few coats of sealent and it looks great. SO much better than before. Thanks for all the advice...just the kitchen to fit now!

chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back