Slate & Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to lay Devi mat electric underfloor heating on a timber base (1st floor flat) this weekend and then top it off with some lovely slate tiles.

Any pitfalls to be wary of before I readily accept the challenge?

I'm hoping it'll be just like laying a regular tile floor to some extent once the heating mat is installed.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Stickells said:
Looking to lay Devi mat electric underfloor heating on a timber base (1st floor flat) this weekend and then top it off with some lovely slate tiles.
Any pitfalls to be wary of before I readily accept the challenge?
Proper sound insulation!

i'm sure you'll find it on plenty of other posts but just in case make sure you board the floor first with 18mm WPB from memory you need that for the devi warranty have fitted devi mat quite a few times and can recomend it. Assuming this is a bathroom so look at threads on the electrics forum about part p before going ahead

Test the mat before you tile, seems obvious but it isn't done enough.

I don't mean switch it on I mean take a resistance test with multimeter.

Do not switch the heating for 28 days after you have completed the flooring. Although many adhesives are rapid setting, they still require 28 days to cure. By heating it artificially you can cook it, and it might shrink or possibly crack.

Follow all specs for tiling on timber, flexible everything.

Hire or borrow a good quality cutter to cut the slate.

Sponsored Links
WPB??? Let me know on that one.

Had the new washing machine on a bit of a spin last night and found that most of the floor shook a little on the vigorous bits. Should this be a concern and will this crack and move the tiles?

I've got the usual flexible tile adhesive and grout.

I'm hoping the vibes will die down once the washer is sat on tiles rather than on the wooden floor.

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back