slates falling off roof .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. i have been finding roof tiles all over my back garden since my neighbour converted his loft into bedrooms . now my upstairs neighbour says water is coming in through the roof , which i feel the neighbour next door has caused . i told the neighbour 2 years ago about this and he just laughed , but we have been friends for years so i left it . i phoned council planning and he had no permission to do this . they told me to get a civil lawyer and sue because as in their words.
.. i am no getting involved in that...
should i sue or is it to costly . he is moving soon and will no doubt got extra for this . meantime i will have to fork out for a roof . i live in a 4 in a block in scotland .

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the services of a decent surveyor/solicitor are called for on this!

Basically you are after proving that he has disrupted the roof structure sufficiently to allow your slates to shift. He will say anything to try and say it wasn't anything to do with the loft conversion, as effectively if it's found to be his fault he will have to pay for rectification work on your roof.

You might not be friends for much longer though....... :evil:

Try Citizens Advice Bureau first as it's free.

Don't forget to take some money for their donation box ;)

Don't like your chances. It sounds like a coincidence. You can't make a tile stay in place for 2 years and then fall off. I can't think of anything that next door could do to start them falling off anyway.

BTW are they slates or tiles? They are fastenned differently. If they are slates it's due to corrosion of the fixing nails.
joe

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies . looks hard to prove . it is slates on the roof and as they started falling after this work my mind was working overtime . thanks again .

If the loft conversion didnt change the shape of the house from the outside then planning permission may not have been needed but BC would have had to be informed.

This is mainly the case in England anyway.

There isnt much work in a loft conversion that would affect next doors roof........

con1_uk said:
There isnt much work in a loft conversion that would affect next doors roof........

Your having a laugh, like ripping off the adjoining roof and building a dormer and then not weathering the slates back in properly , wouldn't affect the neighbouring roof.
Jumping around on the roof and breaking tiles on the neighbouring roof would,nt either.

Not flashing properly around a chimmney..... my list could go on.

Doing a loft conversion badley is probably one of the likely ways to cause damage and leaking to a neighbouring roof.

So when your Council send you a Council Tax Demand next year .............Just say "I`m no getting involved in that"..and quote the chanty rassler who said it to you in the first place :eek: :LOL:

Are you folowing me round here Chappers?

My loft conversion dont include a dormer and the outside roof was in sound condition and didnt require much work on the slates none of which came anywhere near next doors slates and im sure if they did break any they would have fixed them.

the work he carried out was a conversion into a study and a bedroom . it involved cutting struts then sheeting with gyproc , hanging doors etc. . i will phone c.a.b. now as opinions seem to differ . thanks for replies .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back