sleepers connecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
so the lawn is currently being levelled and re-turfed. Once that's sorted, I intend to make a raised border all the way round.
Now, laying the things down level isn't going to be an issue, but connecting them together is something I've wondered about - I don't really want to see any fixings if I can help it.
Any suggestions? anyone used anything I should look at?

Sponsored Links
I have just done similar. I connected sleepers by cutting a mitre in both ends so they overlap. 6 inch sleepers so cut out a 3 inch square in both, top on one and bottom on another to form an overlap. Then drill through and secure with long screws and recess.

I also used a length of rebar, bent over then hammered into a hole in the underside and cemented into the ground.

This video was useful, but as I was laying my sleepers on the bottom and not sides the mitre was the other way.

Drill pilot hole to 20mm to allow head of fixing to be driven below surface .

I have just done similar. I connected sleepers by cutting a mitre in both ends so they overlap. 6 inch sleepers so cut out a 3 inch square in both, top on one and bottom on another to form an overlap. Then drill through and secure with long screws and recess.

I also used a length of rebar, bent over then hammered into a hole in the underside and cemented into the ground.

This video was useful, but as I was laying my sleepers on the bottom and not sides the mitre was the other way.

fantastic, just what I was after. Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links

just an additional - did you cement the anchors in too? just seems overkill - I'll be laying mine as he has in the video, was thinking of merely levelling the ground, and laying some gravel down, lay the sleepers on the gravel then drill it all together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back