Sleepers used for steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at rebuilding a retaining wall from railway sleepers laid flat so they are 200mm wide and 100mm high, it will be 2 x U shaped sections 5m long x 300mm deep (small flower bed) but I have some questions.

The steps between the two levels has been built using a pre made step stringer which has 5 steps, I want to increase the top level by 50mm by adding some quality top soil and new turn

1) I was planning on fitting sleepers double height so the steps are 200mm high and my 5 steps would become 4 steps, would that be too big a step?
2) The first row in the ground is the most important row, would you put this on a bed of gravel so its easier to level?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did my sleeper steps using 8x2 these are infilled with 20mm gravel roughly 180mm rise but the step up feels fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_174143.jpg
    IMG_20200412_174143.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, would you lay them straight on the ground or on a bed of gravel?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back