Slice of paint removed - how to fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Here's the situation:

uaY6aTc.jpg

tpkWZHK.jpg

FYWBDbh.jpg

My friend was getting bubbles and a visible line appearing under the paint and lightly sliced with a stanley knife to reveal something like a line of filler which was causing it.

Now though there is a wall and strips of missing paint down to bare plaster. Also the surrounding paint very easily peels away.

What reeds to be done to fix this up?

Sponsored Links
Temmy, Hey.

Are you sure this is paint??? looks a lot like wall paper from the images posted??

The "whitish" material adhering may have been where a poster or similar was stuck to the wall using some sort of glue.

The most probable reason for the failure of the Paint / Wallpaper?? whatever is a lack of preperation of the plasterboard and a failure to remove the "whitish" glue.

Ken.

Did you mist coat the walls or water down the green on the first coat?

Looks like the paint hasn't adhered to the plaster.

@KenGMac Hey Ken, yes, I believe it is paint as crazy as that sounds. It peeled off in a large patch which totally felt like paper but the rest of it flakes. I Think @CJRatch might be on the ball here - I don't believe the original coat of paint, whenever that was done, was ever propery adhered to the plaster and now it's had a few layers of paint its given it a thickness like paper:

S5ADhxz.jpg

PI7K6fB.jpg

u4ntYQt.jpg

@CJRatch My friend just painted straight on top of the existing colour (which was white). He didn't do the original coat to the plaster.

At this point I've no idea how to repair a patch that large and get smooth finish with the surrounding paint. I think this is a job for a decorator. Would you agree?

Sponsored Links
Peel it all off.
mist coat the wall, paint the wall again.

Doing what you/your friend did made a little problem a whole lot worse.
Get your friend to come round and help redo the whole wall.

As Mattylad says it's probably easier now to remove the lot. Get a sharp edged scraper and it'll whip off.

If in the above picture your happy you've found sound well adhered paint a fine plaster filler feathered out/rubbed down should hide the painted edge. Mist coat any bare plaster.

If it were me I'd remove the lot to the nearest corners and ceiling edge. Wipe it all down. Mist coat it all. Caulk the corners and ceiling edge to blend them back in then apply top coat of paint.

There is a danger of new paint loosening more of the old paint, so may be worth trying to scrape a bit more of the old paint off to see how loose it really is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back