Sliding mirror door to en-suite - best method, or bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building an en-suite to the bedroom and would like to incorporate some kind of sliding mirror door. I've yet to build the wall on/in which the sliding door will be fitted, so am gathering some ideas on how it should be done before building the wall.

I only want one half of the wall where you walk in to "slide", and was thinking of mounting a fixed mirror on the other half, over (or under) which the sliding mirror door will slide.

I've found a couple of ways to do this:

1) A front-mounted sliding door, which i'm guessing will be easier to install, and I can start building the wall right away. According to the instructions with this one, there is a 10mm gap between the sliding door and the wall over which it slides, which should allow enough room for a fixed mirror on the other half of the wall.

header5 ts15_header_zpsybmwcwit.jpg

2) A pocket sliding door, which slides into the wall, bit trickier to install and i guess i'll need to buy the mechanism first to get exact measurements etc. As the door slides into the wall, it will again allow me to hang a fixed mirror on the other half of the wall, although when closed, the two mirrors (door & fixed wall mirror) won't be as seamless as the above approach due to the gap between them.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

With the 2nd approach, my main concern is how to construct the wall in which the door slides. An aluminium frame is supplied with the kit which is supported by timber studs either side and at the top - would plasterboard then be screwed directly into the frame? The en-suite will be tiled, will that side of the frame be strong enough to hold tile backer boards + stone (travertine) tiles?

My other concern, is the acoustics - is it going to be too loud when my Mrs is having a shower and i'm lying in bed (which admittedly is more likely to be the other way round). Is one approach likely to be much better in terms of sound proofing than the other?

Any ideas, tips or advice would be most welcome, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the pocket doors on ironmongery direct. Most have their fitting instructions there too so you can construct the structural opening at least. You wont be able to finish the wall though until you have the pocket structure.
I would say the externally hung door would be slightly better acoustically as you can fill all of the wall with insulation. However the accoustic leak points will be the gaps in each case.

Have a look at the pocket doors on ironmongery direct. Most have their fitting instructions there too so you can construct the structural opening at least. You wont be able to finish the wall though until you have the pocket structure.
I would say the externally hung door would be slightly better acoustically as you can fill all of the wall with insulation. However the accoustic leak points will be the gaps in each case.
Thanks Chappers, that's a great help, and have found exactly what I need on that website :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back