Slightly burned neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A socket in my kitchen which permanently hosts washine machine / dishwasher extension is slightly burned. It happens to be neutral on plug and neural socket.
Obviously I am going to replace both soon. However curious to know what could have caused this. Originally I thought it was rust and general condensation of a kitchen. But actually it smells a bit burnt.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It may be overheating due to a loose neutral wire in the socket and/or a faulty extension lead.

Blup

Thank you. When I open it up tomorrow I'll see if there's a loose connection. I've attached some photos, to show my use if word *slightly* burnt. If I could get away without replacing the front of socket that woukd be great. Don't judge me... The reason for my apparent laziness is that I find 2.5 core cables awkward to manipulate anyway. Now that I am older with a bit of arthritis I enjoy changing a socket even less. And a new one may have locations of L N E in slightly different places thus meaning a bit more bending of cables. The appliances have never 'flickered'. It's easy for me to change the plug pin, but if you thinj the socket is not that bad let me know. Please don't tell me off though for thinking of not changing, as I am not lazy or tight. Thanks.
IMG_20211219_210535.jpg
IMG_20211219_210551.jpg

There is no question about it. Both the socket and the plug must be renewed, and, if it is found that the cables to the socket are showing signs of having overheated, they should be re-terminated, as should the flexible cable to the plug.

Sponsored Links
LOL
Feel free to ignore me as I've just realised from opening the plug that that hole is L not N (I thought I had already reversed image of plug in my mind but clearly not).
So that make me look like an idiot.
I will definitely be replacing plug. As for socket, had a quick peek. Everything still nice and tight (when I fit a socket (in this case about 12 yrs ago) I am a bit OCD with twisting together and tightness for the very reason, I don't want to repeat job). I do understand that's no guarantee against loosening

It doesn't really matter whether it's L or N. The plug and socket still need replacing. And by the way, we don't twist the wires these days, as it make future testing harder.

OK thanks for comment about L v N
Also not twisting. Reason I did this was for the following logic...
If wires pop out of connection, at least they are still connected, and integrity of ring main is still in tact. Forgive my amateur views. I am aware that twisting can sometimes weaken the copper.
So to educate myself, do the pros put a slight kink on them so that they are less likely to slip out?
I'm glad you mentioned twisting as it something I've always been curious about.

Hi
A socket in my kitchen which permanently hosts washine machine / dishwasher extension is slightly burned. It happens to be neutral on plug and neural socket.
Obviously I am going to replace both soon. However curious to know what could have caused this.
You mean you are running both on a single extension lead (at the same time)? In which case you are severely overloading the plug, socket and extension lead.

It is inadvisable to use an extension lead on even single high power devices like those. It is also inadvisable to plug two such high power devices into a double socket. Double sockets are generally rated at 20A not 26A as people often assume.

Ah thank you. The average person probably doesn't give this much thought. We know not to have those old 3 way cube sockets etc but I hadn't given much thought to 2 appliances into one socket. Also kettle goes into other socket of pair!
If they both had a separate lead but two plugs went into same double socket (and kettle went elsewhere) is that at still overloading a double socket. ie does the dishwasher and washing machine need to go to separate points on ring main.
Anyway thanks
After I have replaced plug and socket, I shall make sure we only run one appliance at a time, as a temporary solution.

I see you've already answered my question about 2 appliances into double socket. Thanks, sorry.

I'd just be cleaning the plug pins with wire wool myself and checking the peak load.....

Suppose replacing it all is the super correct way though.

Ooh contraversial. You're going to get us both told off!
I know lol.

Dirty plug sockets, pins are common enough and stink under high load.

If i had to replace every plug and socket in my house that suffered from this I'd be a poor man lol.

I have replaced burnt sockets and removed high load of them but this was a builders special contract socket and Chinese plugs.

Lessons learned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back