Slightly burned neutral

Update.
Many thanks everyone. I have replaced the dirty plug and socket. I was lucky to have same make so the holes were in exactly same place so it really was a dream to replace socket. I realise the short extension is not ideal. I will take a good look at this next time the appliances have to come out (which won't be long in this world where nothing is made to last). I will keep a regular eye on socket and only be running one of the appliances, not both together.
May I ask if the kettle needs a new home or is it OK living in same double socket. I don't know how powerful a kettle is compared to a washing machine.
I could put the kettle in the hob socket see picture but that's not ideal as the cooker normally lives there.
IMG_20211220_162406.jpg

Sponsored Links
Power=Voltage xAmps.
Or, Amps =Power/voltage.

As we don't know the rating of your kettle, etc, it's hard to answer accurately but you can use the above formula to work out the amps.

For a 3kw kettle, you have 3000/240 = 12.5amps which is no coincidence that it's a 13a plug.

Ignoring voltage swing obv.

Washing machine is probably 10 amps (guess) at max.

So > 20amps. Which is apparently not great.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057177536/how-much-power-can-be-got-from-a-socket

However, the plug is utterly separate from the socket? your issue was one of individual plug load rather than total socket load.

I think normal practice is to avoid heavy, long loads on both sockets at the same time.

Just my thoughts though. Others may know better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back