Slipped disc - an end to building and DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slipped discs seem to be quite common, but looking on the net there is precious little information on the actual real-life implications of one. Probably because every situation is different. As someone recovering (hopefully) from one at the moment, I thought I'd ask on here to see how well others have recovered from them. As I'm living in a building site whilst not being able to do any work on the house, I'm getting rather peed off being in convalescence!!! :LOL:

So, has anyone here had a slipped disc but gone on to fully recover? Can you still do all the heavy stuff you did before?

Has anyone here had to give up DIY or a trade career because of a slipped disc? :eek:

I'm 29, so relatively young and fit (could be much fitter though! :D), and thanks to my proactive GP and a bit of luck with the waiting list I was in physiotherapy within a month. So, keeping positive and hopeful about it. :D

Sponsored Links
I suffered a similar injury about the same age as you are now. Suffered sciatica for a good while after as well.
Swimming is what fixed it for me. But avoid breaststroke and butterfly. It might see obvious why.
I used to do a half a mile most days, but you can work up to it steadily.

No after effects now.

Go to a Chiropracter. Do not go to a doctor or a Ostepath. If your car was running badly, you'd take it to a garage, not a Gym or a Supermarket. Doctors and Osteopaths know **** all about backs.

When i was 13 i broke my leg, and it was right on the ball joint, so it had to be tractioned for 3 months. Meanwhile, the other leg continued gowing, so whe n iwas 16, i had one leg 1 cm longer than the other. No one remembered about my broken leg.

I had horrendous back problems for 30 years, because, if you think about it, having one leg longer than the other makes you off balance. You fall over. So I had to lean right imperceptibly all the time. This put massive strain on my back muscles, and also, because i had a lop sided walk (one pace longer than the next)_ , the hip and knee joints on the long side took excessive wear.

No one spotted this, various doctors and osteopaths all scratched there heads and gave me aspirins. Then I went to a Chiropracter. After 15 mins he said "you' got one leg longer than the other", and explained the above. He then told me to get a pair of shoes and get a cobbler to build the heel and sole up on the short side by 1 cm. This i did.

Within one week my 30 year old backache had vanished. He then showed me a few things, like how to get my missus to go up my spine with her thumbs and look for inflamed joints, how to massage the inflamed muscle and joints to make them go down, and how to avoid knackering my back. he also said ill have to have a hip replacement at some point, because my lopsided walk has done 60 years worth of wear on that joint.

And all that took two weeks and cost me £50. Best £50 i ever spent.

SO, ignore the doctor and anyone else, go and see someone who actually knows what they are talking about when it comes to backs, go see a Chiropracter.

Sponsored Links
SO, ignore the doctor and anyone else, go and see someone who actually knows what they are talking about when it comes to backs, go see a Chiropracter.

Agree 100%, a chiropracter sorted me out after years of pain in my right arm. After examining me and asking 100's of questions, he said start sleeping on your back. Within 2 weeks the pain had gone and its never come back. Two doctor and physiotherapists did'nt have a clue.

A word of warning, I believe there a lot of charlatans in chiropractice so make sure you see someone that is qualified and approved by their professional body.

Anyone who suffers from disc problems or gets sciatica has my very sincere sympathies...I think there will always be a weakness in this area and you have to take great care. The biggest problem is remembering that you have a weakness when you feel well.
John :)

Slipped disc, no such thing!
It's the soft tissue between the vertebrae that has moved and bulged out, which is causing the pain.
See your GP, you may need a scan, injections, painkillers, bed rest or at worst an OP.
I had this problem a few years back in the lower back, it took me about 7 weeks to recover to normal. If I ever was normal, that is :LOL:

i've seen just about everyone for my bad back. a smart physio seems to have finally cracked it as using his recommendations seems to be making it better.

i've seen just about everyone for my bad back. a smart physio seems to have finally cracked it as using his recommendations seems to be making it better.

usually the case, the NHS do have physio therapists, but normally they give exercises to do and are not allowed to touch you, so seems a bit pointless, and takes about two months for an appointment.
So a good physio/chiropracter is the best step to take.

usually the case, the NHS do have physio therapists, but normally they give exercises to do and are not allowed to touch you, so seems a bit pointless, and takes about two months for an appointment.
So a good physio/chiropracter is the best step to take.

the NHS are worse than useless. recent events have proven they are not even worth the effort of asking them.

in my own case i stopped asking them for anything to do with my back 5 years ago with the exception of sicknotes from GP's. they caused the major problems i have now anyway.

even when i was off for months my work failed to step in and i ended up shelling out hundreds myself. not that regret it mind.

the NHS are worse than useless.

In most cases, I have to agree, but there are some splendid support people, nurses and doctors within the organization.
To be honest when my partner had cancer, they were really good, not perfect but I could not knock the help from the cancer ward and nurses.

the NHS are worse than useless.

In most cases, I have to agree, but there are some splendid support people, nurses and doctors within the organization.
To be honest when my partner had cancer, they were really good, not perfect but I could not knock the help from the cancer ward and nurses.

like anything its pot luck who you get. two recent cancer sufferers i know have had both acceptable and disgustingly poor service from the same hospital but different GP's.

one of those GP's is boiling my **** and will be getting a visit if the boy doesn't make it. :mad:

like anything its pot luck who you get. two recent cancer sufferers i know have had both acceptable and disgustingly poor service from the same hospital but different GP's.
I'd like think that wasn't the case, but it's sad if it is, it doesn't help when the same consultant is working private and performing better then.
one of those GP's is boiling my p**s and will be getting a visit if the boy doesn't make it. :mad:
I hope your visit is not needed and you friends both recover well from treatment, and the GP bucks their ideas up.

i've never seen a chiro, but a good osteopath can solve most back problems which don't require surgery.
you must remember that once an injury has occurred you will almost certainly be left with a weakness there and you must act accordingly.
physio has never solved my back problems, but the exercises, although tedious, strengthen the muscles and tissue around problem joints.
no more lifting engines out of cars for me....

Sponsored Links
Back