Building regulation 15 years ago

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope I've posted this in the right area. I have a problem and hope someone can give me advice. I moved into my house about 15 years ago (new build) and have lived here since. However, the sound proofing between my house and my neighbour's is awful! I can hear my neighbours speak, cough, pretty much any noise comes through the wall clearly and is incredibly annoying (they are a very noisy family).

This problem is only upstairs because soon after we moved in back in 95 the building firm had to come back to our house because the sound proofing wasn't good enough to comply with building regs. They fixed downstairs (which is fine now) but told us upstairs would be done next door.

Needless to say, this was never done and the walls upstairs are like paper.

Does anyone know whether I can somehow make a retrospective claim to get the construction firm to pay for sound proofing upstairs? It was 15 years ago so I'm guessing the building regs are very different now, however, the fact that they had to come back to do downstairs back in 95, suggests that they should still be responsible now.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the building firm even still exist? The statute of limitations is 6 years but if they told you porkies, the time runs from when you first found out they told you porkies but of course you have to prove it :LOL:; even so, I doubt you'll have much luck. You should really have liaised with your neighbour & NHBC (although they aren’t a lot of use either) when you had the problem & the opportunity to get it put right; I think your going to have to put this one down to a learning experience ;) .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back