sloooooooow comp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas please.Windows xp has become as slow as a snail(broadband)Have done some checking and found the cpu is running @100% Possibly virus/trojans so have run ad aware & spybot - no difference.Any ideas how to reduce the cpu percentage Thanks J

Sponsored Links
Open task manager and identify the process using the cpu.

Thanks Igorian have been on task manager there is a long list of files but dont know where to go from there. Could you elaborate please & do you think Im on the right track? Thanks J

In task manager click the processes tab and look down the CPU list, do you see any with fairly big numbers next to them?

Sponsored Links
Click the processes tab, then click the CPU column twice to sort in descending CPU usage order. You should be able to see what is using the CPU.

You can also download an run this, which is a better process explorer.

Spark123 said:
In task manager click the processes tab and look down the CPU list, do you see any with fairly big numbers next to them?

lol, u beat me to it.

Pretty good that Process explorer, the PC has behaved itself since so not used it in anger. Bit of advice, when you install it paste a link to your desktop when the window with the icons appears, took me ages to find where windows had hidden it!

Sorry for delay in replying comp froze up.Ok when aol is connected it takes up 51% of cpu.Only other large user is svchost.exe taking 15k.

jayzee said:
Any ideas please.Windows xp has become as slow as a snail(broadband)Have done some checking and found the cpu is running @100% Possibly virus/trojans so have run ad aware & spybot - no difference.Any ideas how to reduce the cpu percentage Thanks J

Have you added any software lately or updated any software lately that might coincide with you computer becoming slow ?

There is no reason to suspect it is an AOL problem.

FH

Frank Haskins said:
jayzee said:

Have you added any software lately or updated any software lately that might coincide with you computer becoming slow ?

FH

Except that it's a bloated bit of tat and totally unnecessary

Igorian said:
Frank Haskins said:
jayzee said:

FH

That would be your opinion of course. As I said there is no reason to suspect AOL software would be causing general issues with a computer and telling someone to ditch there ISP to solve issues such as the above is irrespsonsible, especially when the problem lies elsewhere. But that is only my opinion.

FH

He's not suggesting ditching AOL - merely the AOL software. You don't need to connect to AOL with their own software.
I also vote AOL's software to be poor and while I'm on about it, can I just say that their customer service is terrible too. ;)

Frank Haskins said:
Igorian said:
Frank Haskins said:
jayzee said:

FH

That would be your opinion of course. As I said there is no reason to suspect AOL software would be causing general issues with a computer and telling someone to ditch there ISP to solve issues such as the above is irrespsonsible, especially when the problem lies elsewhere. But that is only my opinion.

FH

Try reading the post.

I said that the AOL software is bloated and unnecessary, not that he should ditch his ISP.

How have you determined that the software has nothing to do with the high CPU usage, seeing how it's using over half of it?

If you've never encountered problems with AOL software, then you either don't use it, or haven't seen enough machines with it installed to make a judgement.

I don't make assumptions. My response is based on the information supplied, which you seem unable to read or interpret.

Do you work for AOL?

I have to agree with the above - I wouldn't touch the AOL software with a barge pole - but it is handy for the people who don't know about PC and how to work them. Anyway - were kinda going off topic.

Jayzee - on the task manager mention in earlier post - check how much memory is being used against how much you have in the PC. This should be shown under the performance tab aswell

Sponsored Links
Back