Sloping floor on first floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is my first post, please forgive me if I am asking silly questions :). I have just purchased our first house (a mid terrace house).
On the first floor bedroom, the floor slopes down by about 5cm from the start of the door frame to the wall. As you move into the room further in from the door it starts to level out. The top of the door frame is also sloped down.
The home buyers survey, did mention "Some distortion of internal door openings at first floor level appears to be associated with the general movement of the building towards the right hand side. This appears to be long standing and minor cracks evident to the internal plaster here and elsewhere do not appear to have occurred recently."
I have pulled up the floor boards around the door entrance to see what might be able to be done. I am thinking that I could bolt on additional joists at a slighter higher level to even out the floor. would this be an option? or should I get a structural engineer to look at this further? It seems structurally sound, no rotten joists etc.

Would anyone have any advice of what I should progress to do?

I have included some pictures:

Laser_Level.jpg - showing the laser level with a 5cm drop by the door and levelling out further towards the right wall.
Floor_Plan.jpeg - floor plan with rough sketch of joists.
Joists.jpg - photo of joists around the door.
Door_frame.jpg - photo of sloping door frame.
Floor.jpg - photo of sloping floor.
Ground_Floor.png - rendered CAD drawing of ground floor.
1st_Floor.png - rendered CAD drawing of first floor.

Thank you in advance.

1st_Floor.png Door_Frame.JPG Floor.JPG floor_Plan.jpeg Ground_Floor.png Joists.JPG Laser_Level.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back