sloping floorboards? Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought a victorian mid-terraced house a few months ago.

I've noticed the floorboards are sloping to at one end of the living room and I'm pretty worried. I had a Homebuyers surbvey done which didn't throw up any concerns about subsidence.

Should I be particulary worried or is this OK for an old house?

Some more info that may help you advise me.

The house was refurbished just before I bought it.

An extension has been added to the rear of the house.

The living room and dining room has been made into one with an internal wall taken out.

All walls have been replastered and some cracking has appeared (mostly hairline cracks but a few larger vertical cracks in corners of rooms but nothing wider that 1mm)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Taz

Sponsored Links
the floor boards in my 1960's house slope, and i'm not at all concerned.

had they not felt solid under foot however..... :eek:

if there is a lot of give at the low end then i would be alarmed.

Im no expert but i would be very suprised if you had subsidence given that you just bought the place; No bank (if the bank surevyor checked it out)would give you a mortage - assuming you got one. Maybe your joists are well old and have sagged over the years. If you are really worried the best thing to do is get a pro in to take a look. the sooner you identify the problem the quicker you can do something about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back