Slow drip from pipe under combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slow drip on one of the pipes going into my Combi boiler. We just moved into the house this week so don't know how long it has been like that. I have included a photo of the place it is leaking. Is it safe to tighten it up?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
That looks a rough old job....diy or illegal worker.

Have you any paperwork for the boiler?

The isolating valve is partially closed...it should be fully open..who touched it? - You need to see whether the drip is from the valve spindle or the connection just above.

Make/model of boiler would be useful...Vokera/Sabre/Procombi at a guess.

That safety valve pipework doesn't appear to be joined properly either.

[quoteThat safety valve pipework doesn't appear to be joined properly either.
[/quote]

Just as well. If the PRV goes, at least unsoldered pipe will make the job easier :D
Hate nothing more than all soldered pipe that allow no after installation repairs, though use of elbows here is a little naff:cool:

Bet the installer does not know what a pipe lender looks like.

That looks a rough old job....diy or illegal worker.

Have you any paperwork for the boiler?

The isolating valve is partially closed...it should be fully open..who touched it? - You need to see whether the drip is from the valve spindle or the connection just above.

Make/model of boiler would be useful...Vokera/Sabre/Procombi at a guess.

That safety valve pipework doesn't appear to be joined properly either.

Thanks for your replies.

How do I open the isolating valve? It must have been the previous owner who touched it. The drip seems to be coming from the outside of the joint rather than the little bit in the center.

It is a Vokera Connect 24.

The previous owner had a safety check done last year by Scottish Gas and it passed.

Sponsored Links
Use a spanner and turn it to the same position as the left hand valve. Touching isolating valves is always a gamble...they can start leaking from the valve stem.

The safety valve pipework should be soldered and preferably a compression fitting installed to enable the pipework to be easily disconnected for maintenance.

Dry off the valve and use a strip of newspaper to see exactly where the leak is, may just need the nut above tightening a little.

A gas check is a lottery....few are done properly.

I do hope that the piping on the right isn't to the gas valve. :D

Nah, that is piped in non barrier (just out of frame), more oxygen, more spark, more SEDBUK.

Right :confused:

The pipework reminds me of a jobbing builder I used to know. When he did bathrooms or kitchens, he used to do his own plumbing, but never used a bender or soldered joints. Everything was done like this boiler, in compression.

Must have spent a bit on fittings over the years. :LOL:

OK so the pipe work is a bit shoddy. Is it safe though? Also how much roughly would a plumber charge to replace the two isolation valves?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back