Slow fibre internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with TT and have had fibre internet for 6 years with a speed of around 35mbps.

Around about October last year, the speed dropped to around 16mps and has slowly risen to about 19mbps. TT seem to believe this is due to additional customer in my area. They can find no fault and have performed a data port reset.

Is it worth me getting one of these plates which is identical to the existing master plate to test for a faulty filter?

I'm curious why fibre, which is VDSL, uses an ADSL filter plate but its what the Openreach engineer fitted.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Think if the filter is failing you would hear the whistle in the phone earpiece.
Your speed problem either to many users in the same system ( contention ratio) or a faulty connecting pair between the BB cab and the phone cab.

EDit , explanation
if one wire in the pair is broken between the the two cabs BB will continue to work but at a much slower speed, but the phone will work.
If a wire broken between phone cab and yourself then the phone won't work but BB will again much slower.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably all the copper joints and water filled junction boxes between you and the cabinet ...

Well TT have run tests several times and their result have told them there's no fault so presumably I'd have to insist they ask Openreach to investigate the local network. I suppose me contacting Openreach isn't feasible since I'm not their customer.

Don’t they have a speed guarantee?

According to the likes of Uswitch, the ISPs, including TT, can offer 65mbps in my area. When I renewed my contract via live chat, I didn't bother to read through the agreement which I since have. The guaranteed speed is actually 15mbps which I presume is based on a test they did at the time. If, as mentioned above, there are faults in the local system, I've been guaranteed a speed based on the prevailing fault.

Next time I see an Openreach engineer working locally, I'll have a word with them.

Last edited:
First things first have you logged into your router and checked the sync speeds? so that you know if this is a VDSL problem or a congestion problem?

First things first have you logged into your router and checked the sync speeds? so that you know if this is a VDSL problem or a congestion problem?

I was using a TP-Link router that I got myself up until January. Trying resolve the speed issue, TT sent me a new wifi hub which has been plugged in for over a month yet the speed is the same. TT routers are preconfigured and mine is connected via LAN cable to the PC.

Interesting!

I've done a TT speed test and also looked at the line data values reported by the router. I actually have TT's Fibre 65 which is available in my area so speed I'm getting is pitiful.

full

full

Well TT have run tests several times and their result have told them there's no fault so presumably I'd have to insist they ask Openreach to investigate the local network. I suppose me contacting Openreach isn't feasible since I'm not their customer.

My experience of TT is that they are rubbish, especially poor at understanding and resolving complaints about their service. An Indian call centre, with poor understanding of English and each time you ring to complaint, irrespective of the type of complaint, they insist on following their script and you wasting your time doing ridiculous tests. I suffered them for several years, with my biggest complaint poor access or none working email servers. Then they claimed they were hacked and customer details were released into the wild, resulting in a flood of nuisance callers to my landline number, spam and phishing emails to my email address. That was the last straw and I moved to a proper ISP - Plusnet.

Your router is reporting a downstream rate of 40Mbps, which is probably reasonable, but the device that you are doing the speed test on is reporting only 19Mbps. The problem seems to be on your side of the router.

Unplug/switch off all devices that might connect to your broadband except the one that you are using for the speed test, do you get a better result? Try the speed test from another device, when that is the only device connected to your broadband, do you get a better result? Preferably use cabled ethernet devices rather than WiFi devices for these speed tests.

While the router is reporting 40Mbps download speed a single wired ethernet device should be able to get about 35Mbps rather than the 19Mbps that your device is reporting.

I've got x2 PC towers. One is on LAN cable, the other, used about an hour/day, is on wifi and both report the same speed on test.

For the PC on LAN cable connection, the main PC, the internet connection is
FTTC master cabled to the TT wifi hub which is LAN cabled to the PC.
I've had no bother with TT fibre speed since I got it 6 years ago, until recently.

The likes of Uswitch indicate speeds of around 65mbps are available in my area and I have TT's Firbe 65. Would really like to see the 65mbps service achieved.

Your router is reporting a downstream rate of 40Mbps, which is probably reasonable, but the device that you are doing the speed test on is reporting only 19Mbps. The problem seems to be on your side of the router.

There are three possible bottlenecks...

1. Connection speed as reported by the router
2. Download speed, which will be less than the above figure, but could be much less than that if the ISP throttles your speed or there is local congestion.
3. Then there is your connection to the router itself. Wifi is the slowest, wired LAN the fastest. Speedtests should always be done via a PC on a wired LAN, if you intend complaining to your ISP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back