Slow flow from Hot water taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a problem with my hot water flow, even when the boiler is on and the pump in operation the flow of hot water out of the bathroom tap and kitchen tap is very very slow and it take 4 – 6mins to fill the basin. I’ve had a plumber look over the system and he said it was fine and the slow flow is due to the fact I have my boiler down stairs and my tank up stairs and something connected to the size of copper pipe as I have 15mm and its got to be smaller if I want a better flow through the taps.

I just want a second opinion though? Is there a quick fix to sort this problem? Is the reason as the plumber said?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a gravity hot water system (cistern(s) in loft and hot water cylinder etc), and are the taps you have suitable for a gravity system?

Many modern taps are designed for high pressure (mains water pressure and combi boilers etc) so have much smaller waterways than ones designed for gravity systems, leading to a disappointing performance when fitted on the wrong water sysyem.

If your plumber is suggesting a smaller pipe will increase pressure he has his cart before his horse. :confused:

Do not confuse pressure and flow. The pressure in any system is usually fixed, and cannot be increased by a change of pipe size. Smaller pipes do not increase the pressure, they just restrict the flow even more, but this is usually insignificant on a high pressure system where there's pressure to spare.

Gravity systems usually use larger pipes (22mm or so) to increase the flow rate with the low pressure available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back